Compressed Texture support (ETC1, PVR)

... information about changes and new features of AndEngine,

Re: Compressed Texture support (ETC1, PVR)

Postby vertti » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:30 pm

Nicolas Gramlich wrote:
vertti wrote:Aaagh, even if it's more precise, on what planet BitmapTextureAtlasTextureRegion is a good name for a class :D

There is no such class as "BitmapTextureAtlasTextureRegion", it does not even make sense :)

Lol, i wonder where i pulled that from then.. too little sleep i guess. :)
Catch me on Twitter and our development blog.
Check out our game SCAWAR Space Combat and it's trailer.
vertti

Postby Spamavert » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:03 pm

Nicolas Gramlich wrote:
vertti wrote:Aaagh, even if it's more precise, on what planet BitmapTextureAtlasTextureRegion is a good name for a class :D

There is no such class as "BitmapTextureAtlasTextureRegion", it does not even make sense :)

Thread necromancy :-)
I think he probably meant BitmapTextureAtlasTextureRegionFactory. I have a question regarding the new naming though - I am trying to change my code to use buildables but the corresponding classes seem to lack some methods, for example see BitmapTextureAtlasTextureRegionFactory vs. BuildableTextureAtlasTextureRegionFactory. Am I missing something?
Spamavert

Postby papaiatis » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:29 pm

Is it true, that AndEngine can't handle PVR Image Format? I'm trying to use TexturePacker to compress a lot of small PNG files into PVR Textures and in the same time I'm tring to export them using PVR Pixel Format.
TexturePacker says its not possible !?

If I export the texture in RGBA format it would require 2 MBs of memory. Using PVR it would be only 512kB.
So what is the advantage of the PVRTexture if it uses RGBA image format inside?
papaiatis

Postby nazgee » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:00 am

I did a patch for AE that added ETC1 support for textures exported from TP. Nicolas merged my pull request and I'm fine with it ;]

Do the same. Contact Andreas Low and Nicolas when you're done, and you'll get what you need :)

PVR is not 100% devices compatible. ETC1 is. This is why I am not interested in using PVR. Note that the fact that TP does not export PVR for AE does not mean that AE does not support it. It does. Just not from TP.
Dirt Rider Mayhem is PUBLISHED now!
nazgee

Previous

Return to Updates