When to use BaseGameActivity and when not to?

... tutorials on how to use AndEngine.

When to use BaseGameActivity and when not to?

Postby somethingjava » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:37 pm

I have to say and I'm sure I speak for tuns out there that AndEngine is the best solution to get started in game development on the android. Thanks for putting up such an awesome lib.

I am quite the newbie when it comes to android development. I've done some java programming in the past and I am about 3 weeks in to building my first game and then I came across this lib yesterday. I was wowed by it and now I am starting over and building it with this platform. But I have a couple of questions.

I think my first question is, when do i use it and when to not use it. My specific app has a login , create account and select server screens before you even really get to the game play. I'm trying to make this process as painless as possible for the user but it's necessary for our MMO type game. So do i need to create the game engine prior to these screens? Or do i only extend the BaseGameActivity once I am ready to start playing the game? I guess a little bit of AndEngine Game development 101 is in order as I'm a bit confused.

My second question is does AndEngine already have server communication built in? or should I stick with my classes I've already made to communicate with my server?

Thanks for any advice you give.
Marco G. Williams ( CEO )
somethingJava, llc
somethingjava

Re: When to use BaseGameActivity and when not to?

Postby alex » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:04 pm

I haven't done it, but I would suggest you keep your login activities - which I presume you've used the xml layout for.
Your main game activity should use AndEngine and implement a BaseGameActivity

So your login screen would intend to launch the main game activity (that implements BaseGameActivity).

AndEngine does not have client/server stuff built in - just use the Android http communication functions

P.S. Instead of "CEO" you should call yourself Principal Software Developer. Unless you have an engineering degree, in which case you can call yourself Principal Software Engineer :geek:
"CEO" is all about money & direction of the company ... boring stuff
alex

Postby somethingjava » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:11 pm

alex wrote:P.S. Instead of "CEO" you should call yourself Principal Software Developer. Unless you have an engineering degree, in which case you can call yourself Principal Software Engineer :geek:
"CEO" is all about money & direction of the company ... boring stuff

I like it! Principal Software Developer / CEO perhaps? lol I wear many hats.

I am also happy that I don't have to rewrite any code to start using the game engine.
somethingjava

Postby somethingjava » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:57 pm

My Next question on this topic, is since I won't be using AndEngine in my standard activities.. is it possible to still use some of it's resources. Like I love how easy it is to get sprites and grab a specific graphic from a sprite sheet.. this is far more difficult ( at least for me ) to do and your classes seem to make it so easy. Is there a way to access that as a drawable or a bitmap so that I can set it into an imageView?
somethingjava

Return to Tutorials