[TUTORIAL] Getting Started with AndEngine

... tutorials on how to use AndEngine.

Re: [TUTORIAL] UPDATED - Getting Started with AndEngine

Postby niohoggr » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:44 pm

Hi again.

I have yet another problem. I have sat things up like you said, and begun to watch the 3rd tutorial vid on youtube (a part of the chain that is linked in this thread). Now, I did most things as instructed to try and incude an example in a project of my own, one thing I did differently, I have to target 2.1 update 1 instead of 2.2 .
Now I have an error message in the AndEngine bit at org.anddev.andengine.opengl.texture.compressed.etc1 in the file ETC1Texture.java , in the following lines : import android.opengl.ETC1;
import android.opengl.ETC1Util;
The error says : The import android.opengl.ETC1 cannot be resolved
The import android.opengl.ETC1Util cannot be resolved
on the lines I quoted respectively.

What could be causing the error? My bet would be the different target API, in which case I hope there is a way to counter that since that is the _must have_ level. (I do know tho' that upwards it is compatible, but backwards not... hence my need for that level.)
niohoggr

Postby nschl » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:57 pm

Now I have done a fresh installation of eclipse, java and mercurial but it still doesn't work. The default branch is still inactive. I've also tried to clone it via terminal using "hg clone", but I get about 500 errors.

Anyone out there who can help me? :cry:
nschl

Postby niohoggr » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:14 pm

niohoggr wrote:Hi again.

I have yet another problem. I have sat things up like you said, and begun to watch the 3rd tutorial vid on youtube (a part of the chain that is linked in this thread). Now, I did most things as instructed to try and incude an example in a project of my own, one thing I did differently, I have to target 2.1 update 1 instead of 2.2 .
Now I have an error message in the AndEngine bit at org.anddev.andengine.opengl.texture.compressed.etc1 in the file ETC1Texture.java , in the following lines : import android.opengl.ETC1;
import android.opengl.ETC1Util;
The error says : The import android.opengl.ETC1 cannot be resolved
The import android.opengl.ETC1Util cannot be resolved
on the lines I quoted respectively.

What could be causing the error? My bet would be the different target API, in which case I hope there is a way to counter that since that is the _must have_ level. (I do know tho' that upwards it is compatible, but backwards not... hence my need for that level.)

Please help, without knowing a way around this problem I can't proceed. :(
niohoggr

Postby RealMayo » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:59 pm

Hi niohoggr, what is the code you are trying to use in your project? It sounds like it is not one of the AndEngine examples? If its not one of the AndEngine examples then I recommend you post a new thread in the Development forum to get more help, because I'm not sure if I'm going to know the answer. Thanks.
RealMayo

Postby niohoggr » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:19 pm

RealMayo wrote:Hi niohoggr, what is the code you are trying to use in your project? It sounds like it is not one of the AndEngine examples? If its not one of the AndEngine examples then I recommend you post a new thread in the Development forum to get more help, because I'm not sure if I'm going to know the answer. Thanks.

Well, the problem is I have not written a single character yet in my project, I only tried using AndEngine as it is in the 3rd part of the youtube tutorial. In fact, as it is in the tutorial, I linked Andengine to my project using Buildpath, and in there is the error.
niohoggr

Postby RealMayo » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:06 pm

Ok, first off were you able to successfully run the AndEngine examples (as in the 2nd video)?
If you were successful with that, then there shouldn't be an error when adding one of the examples into your own project. As a test, are you able to successfully incorporate the BasePhysicsExample.java into your own project?
RealMayo

Postby niohoggr » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:34 pm

RealMayo wrote:Ok, first off were you able to successfully run the AndEngine examples (as in the 2nd video)?
If you were successful with that, then there shouldn't be an error when adding one of the examples into your own project. As a test, are you able to successfully incorporate the BasePhysicsExample.java into your own project?

Well no, since I have posted earlier that it throws me an error, which you said can be solved if I manually set the compiler to 1.6 (when grabbing the examples) . Afterwards when I add AndEngine (that I need in order for any example to work as I understand ) so without working around this error I am unable to work around it.
niohoggr

Postby RealMayo » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:48 pm

Ok you need to be successfull in the 2nd video before you can be successful in the 3rd video.
When you try to do everything in the 2nd video, what errors do you get?
RealMayo

Postby niohoggr » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:15 pm

RealMayo wrote:Ok you need to be successfull in the 2nd video before you can be successful in the 3rd video.
When you try to do everything in the 2nd video, what errors do you get?

Type java.lang.Enum cannot be resolved. It is indirectly referenced from a required .class file.

This is the error I get, within the Andengine/scr folder, as I recall it was in the org.anddev.andengine.examples.launcher file.
niohoggr

Postby RealMayo » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:18 pm

And you set the compiler compliance level to 1.6?
You need to do that for EVERY extension.
RealMayo

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials