[TUTORIAL] Getting Started with AndEngine

... tutorials on how to use AndEngine.

Re: [TUTORIAL] UPDATED - Getting Started with AndEngine

Postby super youkai warhead » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:47 pm

InsanityOnABun wrote:Thanks a lot for the tutorials! I just have one problem, and I've got a feeling it's something stupid that I'm overlooking. In the AndEngine project (https://github.com/nicolasgramlich/AndEngine) once I clone and import it, I'm getting multiple errors, all of them either "The import org.andengine.BuildConfig cannot be resolved" or "BuildConfig cannot be resolved to a variable". This is preventing AndEngine from building, which is in turn causing everything else to throw errors. Help?

Hi!
I am also new.
I tried setting up Eclipse today and also came up with this error.
It seems last commit (yesterday) of AndEngine broke something. Please select your "src" folder (not the project folder), and right click, replace with, commit..., and use the previous commit.
Everything worked fine for me after that. I was able to send the examples to my phone. Good luck.
super youkai warhead

Postby InsanityOnABun » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:30 am

super youkai warhead wrote:Hi!
I am also new.
It seems last commit (yesterday) of AndEngine broke something. Please select your "src" folder (not the project folder), and right click, replace with, commit..., and use the previous commit.
Everything worked fine for me after that. I was able to send the examples to my phone. Good luck.

That did it. I was curious if that might have been the case, but I didn't know how to go about pulling a previous commit. Thanks!
InsanityOnABun

Postby InsanityOnABun » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:38 am

Ahah. Look in the comments here:
nicolasgramlich wrote:Note: You will need "ADT 17 Preview 4" or higher to build AndEngine now!
InsanityOnABun

Postby mostafa » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:36 pm

super youkai warhead wrote:Hi!
I am also new.

I have tried this solution but still getting the same compilation error for the BuildConfig class should I do anything rather than reverting to the previous commit ?

Thanks in advance
mostafa

Postby Luca Gessi » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:35 pm

Hi all!
I am new to Andengine. I followed this tutorial but it dosn't work.
After setting javacompiler to 1.6 and creating the folders res there are still errors.
I'm using eclipse for java, the last sdk and adt, and jdk1.7, under Ubuntu 11.10.

Thanks
Luca Gessi

Postby RealMayo » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:46 pm

The problem is that Nicolas keeps updating AndEngine, and sometimes he updates it with bugs/errors.
All you can do is wait until he updates it again (probably in a day or two), then right-click on each extension, then choose Team, then choose Pull, in order to get the latest updates and hopefully a working engine.

In the meantime, make sure that you are specifically using "ADT 17 preview 4" as part of your installation.
RealMayo

Postby Luca Gessi » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:52 pm

RealMayo wrote:The problem is that Nicolas keeps updating AndEngine, and sometimes he updates it with bugs/errors.
All you can do is wait until he updates it again (probably in a day or two), then right-click on each extension, then choose Team, then choose Pull, in order to get the latest updates and hopefully a working engine.

In the meantime, make sure that you are specifically using "ADT 17 preview 4" as part of your installation.

In fact i've just read that I need it. I am using ADT 16 and sdk 16.
Now I try to update it.

Thanks
Luca Gessi

Postby silentrambo » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:54 am

Im stuck at tutorial 2, when i link the extensions. once i link all of them, they all light up with literally tens of thousands of errors. Do you seriously have to get some just barely released ADT? I thought he wasnt messing with GLES1 anymore, why does it NEED beyond the most recent stable update of the ADT?

i found something completely inconsistent with the video, which im not sure has been updated recently, and i dont know what it actually means: the default.properties file is named project.properties. Also, when i link an extension under my local example project, it auto creates source folders for the other extensions i need.

Are there really no actual stable releases of the andengine and its extensions i can use. i dont care if they are out of date, what i want to make is fairly simple, and i am more then willing to work within the confines of a defined system, i just really would like to get started asap.
silentrambo

Postby RealMayo » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:59 pm

Hi silentrambo,
GLES1 does not need that version of ADT. GLES1 can use older versions of ADT. GLES1 is a stable release and is no longer being modified by Nicolas anymore.

Please verify and let me know if you are trying to install GLES1 or GLES2.
Note: GLES1 is installed via Mercurial; GLES2 is installed via github.
Thanks
RealMayo

Postby Tempest Desh » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:05 pm

Couple of questions (some old, some new):

First off, I've grabbed the main Andending .jar file off of the wiki page (http://wiki.andengine.org/AndEngine_Jars) and copy-pasted into the project I'm working on (I believe it was into the lib folder) and added it to the build path. The thing is, though I've tried to follow along with RealMayo/skaulius's tutorials on YouTube, I'm having issues acquiring the necessary extensions needed for a tower defense game. I've got a splash screen up and running and am now working on a menu screen. So far, I haven't had any major problems using the .jar file I pulled down from the wiki page. I'm just wondering how I'm supposed to go about getting the PhysicsBox2D, TMXTiledMap extension, etc. to workm seeing as there's apparently no compiled .jar file available for them. I'm also wondering: what I can do about the tons of errors I'm seeing in the source code files for these extensions? As far as basic questions are concerened: I know I need to create a new class for the Menu screen, but I'm a bit confused on how to go about it (I have created one, but I'm not sure if I set the specs properly (inherited abstract methods but no constructors inherited from superclass). Any ideas/links? FInally, as far as OpenGL is concerned, does using the .jar file for the basic AndEngine constrain me in that regards. I'd like to develop for the Froyo and above and I know they use the 2.0 version. Will 1.0 and 1.1 run on these devices? If I can think of anything else, I'll be sure to ask. Thanks in advance.

See ya on the flipside,

Tempest Desh

EDIT: If this is in the wrong forums/child board, I request that one of the mods please move it to the proper area. I will try and keep such things in mind in the future, so as to get the necessary help in resolving these and and any other issues I might encounter with AndEngine, etc. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Tempest Desh on Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tempest Desh

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials