Tutorials - What Do You Want???

... tutorials on how to use AndEngine.

Re: Tutorials - What Do You Want???

Postby Aaron.DS » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:48 pm

Mimminito wrote:Welcome to the forums!

If your just starting out with Android and Java, then I would recommend you head over http://www.anddev.org, where you will be able to follow some basic tutorials on getting Android to work and how to program for it! There will be tutorials there for how an Application is handled, and what it composes of. Also if you check out the Android Developer website you will find a lot of useful information with relation to Android programming. Most importantly for you would probably be the Application Life Cycle topic which covers, well, what its title says haha.

Hope this helps!

Adam

Cheers Adam, I'll definitely be checking out those resources, however I still think a few detailed tutorials on the basics of the engine, in regards to engine-specific components would be a great help. Not a "must have", but would still be helpful for noobs. 8-)

Thanks again,
- Aaron.
Aaron.DS

Postby NightJumper » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:46 pm

If you could give a tutorial on working with storing data. I was having trouble creating a system that didnt take a long time with SQLite to store the high Score, along with number of times certain events happen. So for example lets say you want to keep track of how many times they play your game, or how many times they do something. Mainly this is to handle achievements in Openfeint.
NightJumper

Postby Mimminito » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:53 pm

NightJumper wrote:If you could give a tutorial on working with storing data. I was having trouble creating a system that didnt take a long time with SQLite to store the high Score, along with number of times certain events happen. So for example lets say you want to keep track of how many times they play your game, or how many times they do something. Mainly this is to handle achievements in Openfeint.

You could just handle all of these in a Class of your own, which you can update everytime you need to. Then you can write the class out to a stream and save it within the applications storage space each time you need to. Then when the application is loaded you are able to internalize the class, and you have your data back. Check out the Android Developer website for how to store stuff within an application.
---------------------------------------
Adam Goodchild
Your AndEngine Forum Moderator!
My Tutorials List
http://www.adam-goodchild.co.uk
---------------------------------------
Mimminito

Postby asolanki » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:04 pm

Hi!!
i have been reading all the examples and they are too good and simple.

i am working on project where i have to create spring animation

user can press and release spring and then spring should animate.

can anyone just point me out something or some hints to starts with

Thank you very much for all the tutorials :)
asolanki

Postby sambocrockett » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:55 pm

You know what would seriously clear up a lot of questions.....a tutorial where you explain how to build a simple game project from start to finish. I dont mean a simple sprite on the page or something that shows how the accelerometer is used but an actual game project that uses most of the classes and andengine functionality. I dont see anything like this in any of the tutorial sections and Ive used other game engines before and there is always something like this. I know this is an open source project and that you guys are practically donating your time but a simple tutorial like what I just described would get rid of so many questions you could go back to building functionality and cleaning up bugs in your engine :) Not that I can see any bugs as I havent even got one tutorial working yet :p
sambocrockett

Postby oldpond » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:36 pm

Is there a tutorial on using background images? Also, Nicolas has created a new way to place an AndEngine view inside a regular Android view. I would like to be able to control elements of my AndEngine view from my Android view. For example, in the multitouch example, I would like to have a button/control that allows me to reset the position of the cards.
oldpond

Postby morthek » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:23 pm

A tutorial about Pooling would be very nice. Bullets, enemies, explosions... a bunch of thing should use it for best performance. But i dunno how :| .

Thanks!!!
Victor Araujo
morthek

Postby mlipman » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:37 am

What's most missing in the andengine tutorials is some step-by-step getting started turtorials. Not just posting the code and the steps, but some explanation of what each line of code is supposed to do.

Failing that, some annotated examples would be brilliant, ie not the finished product necessarily, but how you get there....
mlipman

Postby IronFerret » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:32 pm

Hi,

Do you think you (or anyone else for that matter) could post a tutorial explaining multiplayer connection basics? Stuff like establishing connections on both server and client sides and passing some sort of data over the connection would be great. I've looked at the example code, but it's a little difficult to understand (having very limited networking knowledge).

Thanks
IronFerret

Postby savij » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:47 am

Mimminito,

First off, thanks for all the Tutorials. They are VERY helpful. I think something that would be really useful is an overview of the coordinate system. Both for scene coordinates and Box2d coordinates and their conversions. This is something everyone must deal with. I realize that it's kind of basic, but it's not really talked about much. It would really help me a lot. Maybe just a simple commented few shapes and relative shapes and (and joints in box2d). We could run the samples and see how it all works.

As for others who want a full game tutorial, I think thats a bit much to ask for. If you take each simple example and keep combining them, you will learn TONS of what the engine can do. Just don't try to bite off too much at once. It starts slow, but quickly starts to make a lot of sense. Before you know it, you'll be doing things more quickly and I think you'll agree that the slow start will be worth it in the end!

Good Luck!
-Jeff
savij

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials