[TUTORIAL] Getting Started with AndEngine

... tutorials on how to use AndEngine.

Re: [TUTORIAL] Getting Started with AndEngine

Postby RealMayo » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:49 pm

Ark42 wrote:So it is normal for the official GitHub files to just not compile, and the version from RealMayo to sort of work, but contain 321 warnings just to start the examples?
I generally consider warnings the same as errors... why are there so many unfixed bugs in the engine? It's not giving me a good feeling getting started.

All of that is normal.
RealMayo

Postby smartus » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:33 am

Ark42 wrote:So it is normal for the official GitHub files to just not compile, and the version from RealMayo to sort of work, but contain 321 warnings just to start the examples?
I generally consider warnings the same as errors... why are there so many unfixed bugs in the engine? It's not giving me a good feeling getting started.

If you consider warnings the same as errors, I suggest you pick a different programming language or maybe a completely different career :twisted:
smartus

Postby Ark42 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:58 am

I would have to say the same to you. Even though I have far more C/C++ experience than Java, every single app I've written compiles with zero warnings and zero errors. I think it's a very bad sign that code is left this way. Even if all you do is add @SuppressWarnings("deprecation") and ignore some of the warnings, it shows that you at least intended the code to be that way.
Ark42

Postby smartus » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:14 am

Ark42 wrote:I would have to say the same to you. Even though I have far more C/C++ experience than Java, every single app I've written compiles with zero warnings and zero errors. I think it's a very bad sign that code is left this way. Even if all you do is add @SuppressWarnings("deprecation") and ignore some of the warnings, it shows that you at least intended the code to be that way.

If somebody puts effort into open source code, I do not expect him to fix all warnings. The fact that the code is open simply says: Here's some code, you can use is as it is and if you want, fix it. So instead of complaining about it on the forums, why don't you fix it? After all your codes have zero warnings, the community would definitely benefit from someone fixing them.

And if you don't like it, go ahead and pick some other product.
smartus

Postby Ark42 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:18 am

I already did fix it all. What amazes me is how easy most of the 300+ warnings are. Just open most of the files and Ctrl+Shift+O and you get rid of 20+ warnings. Add a few @SuppressWarnings("deprecation") for the samples to use old-style dialogs, etc... I'm quite sure it would be just as easy for you guys to do the same. I'm surely not the first one to be bothered by 300+ warnings am I?
Ark42

Postby smartus » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:22 am

Ark42 wrote:I already did fix it all. What amazes me is how easy most of the 300+ warnings are. Just open most of the files and Ctrl+Shift+O and you get rid of 20+ warnings. Add a few @SuppressWarnings("deprecation") for the samples to use old-style dialogs, etc... I'm quite sure it would be just as easy for you guys to do the same. I'm surely not the first one to be bothered by 300+ warnings am I?

Congratulations. Now I am sure you have already published these changes and submitted a pull request.
smartus

Postby Ark42 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:18 am

No, I'm pretty sure I don't have permission to upload changes back to RealMayo's repository, and I don't really want to fork a branch just for myself.
Ark42

Postby davecoolgood » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:06 am

Thank you for tutorials.....

I am just following this websites for AndEngine tutorials.

http://matim-dev.com
http://techtopz.in/category/development/andengine-tutorials/
http://android.kul.is/search/label/tutorial

These websites are just awesome
davecoolgood

Postby drUniversalis » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:44 pm

I registered to write this, so please value the effort as a fun way of constructive criticism and not an hate speech about people thinking different than me.

RealMayo wrote:

All of that is normal.

I must object. I share Ark42 opinion on clean code, and stating that those kind of errors/warnings are normal is almost grossly negligent in my thinking. I don't even respond to smartus, as he seems more like a forum troll than an constructive member in this particular matter.

Lets think of your code as a kitchen. There are very clean and hygiene kitchens where you come in, find everything in it with ease and you can prepare a meal without further distractions. Whenever you enter your kitchen, it is cleaned up completly, there are no bugs (ha, get it? :D) whatsoever and you get that nice lemon smell that takes you to some other place in your imagination. Kitchens like mine and Ark42's.

Now there are other kinds of kitchens...(imagine gamers day intro music now)...there is filth everywhere, many tools are so dirty that you are afraid of food poisoning even after you cleaned them. Dishes lying around...to the point where when you want to prepare a meal, you MUST do dishes first. You cannot invite a friend in and let him cook, because he would feel overwhelmed, or disgusted in that case by all the filth.

So what does the latter kitchen say about you as a person?
Well, you only wash one dish at a time, only when it is absolutely nessessary. When there is no other way around because you used up the plastic dishes and you are really starving. You spend more time thinking about how to avoid doing this single dish, rather then just get it over with.
You don't care what others think of your kitchen. You are used to the filth and it does not bother you anymore. Lazyness has gotten to the point where it outweights the shame by so far that you even tell your disgusted guest, that "all of that is normal".

I am the guest, and i have to tell everyone who lives with these kind of kitchens:
No, i dont think this is normal, i think this is disgusting.

So getting back to real life, beeing lazy with your code is far less important characteristic trait. Also nobody has the right to tell you how to write your code or what to do with it, especially because he will have some undone dishes himself he is not telling you about.
But in my opinion you are still a lazy programmer and i am sure you are much more prone to quick workarounds and hardcoded values than i am, no matter how many thousands of lines of code you made public and what effort you have done to the community with it. The amount of code and/or the fact that "i don't have to use it" is not a valid counter-argument to someone like Ark24 stating his opinion.

Other than that i am looking forward to work with AndEngine and appreciate the effort made. Haters gonna hate.
drUniversalis

Postby Ark42 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:51 pm

Feel free to pull my repositories from https://github.com/Ark42 - they're just cleaned up 0 warning, 0 error versions of RealMayo's. I submitted a pull request, but I don't think RealMayo ever took in my "patches" that don't really change the functionality of the code at all. Or maybe I just don't really know how to use GIT very well.
Ark42

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials