[TUTORIAL] Getting Started with AndEngine

... tutorials on how to use AndEngine.

Re: [TUTORIAL] Getting Started with AndEngine

Postby TheDL » Sun May 27, 2012 8:35 am

Hello, I'm recently getting into android development. I watched the first part of the youtube tutorial and grabbed most of the extensions (I did not get the multitouch and robotium one) . However I'm getting these errors, and I just want to be able to run the examples:

Description Resource Path Location Type
    DrawMode cannot be resolved to a variable HullAlgorithmExample.java /AndEngineExamples/src/org/andengine/examples line 168 Java Problem
    DrawMode cannot be resolved to a variable HullAlgorithmExample.java /AndEngineExamples/src/org/andengine/examples line 175 Java Problem
    The constructor TextOptions(AutoWrap, float, float, HorizontalAlign) is undefined TextBreakExample.java /AndEngineExamples/src/org/andengine/examples line 106 Java Problem
    The import org.andengine.entity.primitive.vbo.DrawMode cannot be resolved HullAlgorithmExample.java /AndEngineExamples/src/org/andengine/examples line 11 Java Problem
    Type mismatch: cannot convert from void to AnimatedSprite BoundCameraExample.java /AndEngineExamples/src/org/andengine/examples line 220 Java Problem
    Type mismatch: cannot convert from void to AnimatedSprite SplitScreenExample.java /AndEngineExamples/src/org/andengine/examples line 179 Java Problem

I already tried reinstalling everything, but that isn't working.

I'm thinking of creating a sandbox type of game involving music - somewhat similar to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fev1u8TjnOA

So I assume I need the Physics extension and some form of the multitouch one (since the current one is GLE1?).

Thank you.

EDIT: Okay I fixed those errors just by deleting those examples and all the references to them. I'll continue posting in this thread if I encounter any other errors.
TheDL

Postby aderly » Sun May 27, 2012 2:20 pm

all right, i download the code just few hours later than you, and i have to say i have encountered just the same promblem as you and i can't solve it yet. so counld you please say clearly how you solve the problem? or someone else give me a hand?thank you!
aderly

Postby TheDL » Mon May 28, 2012 2:07 am

I deleted the example programs that had errors in them and then deleted where those problems was referenced, like in the manifest.
TheDL

Postby TheDL » Mon May 28, 2012 2:40 am

I haven't seen code with AndEngine involving AudioTrack, only SoundPool. Does AndEngine have it's implementation of AudioTrack somewhere or do I have to make it from scratch? For my program I'd like to maybe do some sound processing, such as altering the pitch, and I heard AudioTrack is ideal for that compared to SoundPool.
TheDL

Postby ironglove » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:08 am

Does somebody have maybe a Sample code for GLES 2?
Just a short application who move something on screen of anything else :)

That can be helpful for people who begins

Thanks in advance
ironglove

Postby OzLark » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:19 am

There are the official AndEngine examples in the git hub repository - https://github.com/nicolasgramlich/AndEngineExamples should answer you questions.
Did this post help you? Feel free to return the gesture by downloading Ninja Bees, creating a level (or more) and sharing it to the Ninja Bees website!

Ninja Bees - Our latest Android game, check it out on Google Play (free) or paid with no ads
OzLark

Postby exchequer » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:50 pm

Hello all.

I would like to start using AndEngine unforatantely the methodology presented in this topic/video guide does not work for a fresh install.

I will first share stuff that I solved that was not covered in the video:
1) Installation
-If you install x64 JDK then android SDK will not recognize it
-If you install x64 Eclipse it will not recognize 32bit JDK
Conclusion: You must install:
-eclipse-java-indigo-SR2-win32
-jdk-7u4-windows-i586.exe
-installer_r18-windows.exe
2) Errors:
-no gen folder, fixed by creating new folder named "gen" (the res folder from the video guide alreade existed)
3)In order to get the ability to use new>android project you first must install a project called ADT into eclipse. http://developer.android.com/sdk/eclips ... ownloading

This also fixed the errors for AndEngine and AndEngineTMXTiledMapExtension.
The project was not built since its build path is incomplete. Cannot find the class file for java.lang.Object. Fix the build path then try building this project AndEngine Unknown Java Problem

BluetoothException cannot be resolved to a type MultiplayerBluetoothExample.java /AndEngineExamples/src/org/andengine/examples line 345 Java Problem
BluetoothSocketConnection cannot be resolved to a type MultiplayerBluetoothExample.java /AndEngineExamples/src/org/andengine/examples line 95 Java Problem

Unfortunately I could not solve everything!

Issue:
I still get warnings
Code: Select all
Description   Resource   Path   Location   Type
LongMap is a raw type. References to generic type LongMap<V> should be parameterized   LongMap.java   /AndEnginePhysicsBox2DExtension/src/com/badlogic/gdx/utils   line 600   Java Problem

LongMap.Entries is a raw type. References to generic type LongMap<V>.Entries<V> should be parameterized   LongMap.java   /AndEnginePhysicsBox2DExtension/src/com/badlogic/gdx/utils   line 51   Java Problem
LongMap.MapIterator is a raw type. References to generic type LongMap<V>.MapIterator<V> should be parameterized   LongMap.java   /AndEnginePhysicsBox2DExtension/src/com/badlogic/gdx/utils   line 657   Java Problem

Total of 214

I have installed
AndEngine (warnings)
Multiplayerextention
PhysicsBox (warnings)
Scripting (warnings)
TMXTiledMaps

What is my next step?

thanks in advance!
exchequer

Postby Galastorm » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:37 pm

It has to be said I'm struggling with the engine myself, to the point where I'm thinking of abandoning it. I managed to get past those errors:

For the DrawMode errors you need to change the import statement from this:
import org.andengine.entity.primitive.vbo.DrawMode;
to this:
import org.andengine.entity.primitive.DrawMode;

The AnimatedSprite errors are caused by the constructor having ".animate(100)" tagged on the end (with a void return), delete them and they go away.

They looked like simple coding errors. They may be incorrect fixes, as there's a huge amount of undocumented code behind the examples, but the example app compiles and those items run on my Galaxy S2.

That said, I'm struggling to get anything *apart* from the example running. I can compile and run an app using the tutorial here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwMBU45IYuo

but taking it a step further and including the content of one of the java files in the examples as described here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVIZSKP3tR8&list=PL6131C7A9DDCF959A&index=2&feature=plpp_video
all I get are forced closes when I try to run the APK on the S2.

TheDL wrote:Hello, I'm recently getting into android development. I watched the first part of the youtube tutorial and grabbed most of the extensions (I did not get the multitouch and robotium one) . However I'm getting these errors, and I just want to be able to run the examples:

DrawMode cannot be resolved to a variable HullAlgorithmExample.java /AndEngineExamples/src/org/andengine/examples line 168 Java Problem
    DrawMode cannot be resolved to a variable HullAlgorithmExample.java /AndEngineExamples/src/org/andengine/examples line 175 Java Problem
    The constructor TextOptions(AutoWrap, float, float, HorizontalAlign) is undefined TextBreakExample.java /AndEngineExamples/src/org/andengine/examples line 106 Java Problem
    The import org.andengine.entity.primitive.vbo.DrawMode cannot be resolved HullAlgorithmExample.java /AndEngineExamples/src/org/andengine/examples line 11 Java Problem
    Type mismatch: cannot convert from void to AnimatedSprite BoundCameraExample.java /AndEngineExamples/src/org/andengine/examples line 220 Java Problem
    Type mismatch: cannot convert from void to AnimatedSprite SplitScreenExample.java /AndEngineExamples/src/org/andengine/examples line 179 Java Problem

I already tried reinstalling everything, but that isn't working.

I'm thinking of creating a sandbox type of game involving music - somewhat similar to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fev1u8TjnOA

So I assume I need the Physics extension and some form of the multitouch one (since the current one is GLE1?).

Thank you.

EDIT: Okay I fixed those errors just by deleting those examples and all the references to them. I'll continue posting in this thread if I encounter any other errors.
Galastorm

Postby RealMayo » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:41 am

Hello Galastrom,
Did you try to implement specifically the physics example as in the video? What errors are you getting?

Hi exchequer,
Are you still experiencing the same problems?

Everyone please note as I've mentioned before, Nicolas is constantly changing/updating/modifying AndEngine. If you would like to try a stable release, please try the fork of AndEngine maintained by recastrodiaz as I mentioned several posts ago in this thread.
Thanks
RealMayo

Postby exchequer » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:10 pm

Yes still same issues.

I will try the recastrodiaz fork:). If it doenst work I'll open a new topic.

edit: It did not work, still errors.

New topic: tutorials/need-help-installing-andengine-t8188.html
exchequer

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials