Error in Source Code for Game Engine Extensions

... tutorials on how to use AndEngine.

Error in Source Code for Game Engine Extensions

Postby Tempest Desh » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:07 am

Hey All,

Okay, so I just got the game engine and all it's extensions downloaded via Mercurial. However, while the game engine itself doesn't have any errors in the code, I'm getting source code errors in all of the extensions. Not sure if there's a quick fix for this (would be great). Does this have anything to do with not having the latest version(s)? I used https://code.google.com/p/andengine etc. to get the various components. Thanks in advance for the help.

See ya on the flipside,

Tempest Desh

EDIT: Will post some of the errors (they're quite numerous) once I can access my desktop
Tempest Desh

Re: Error in Source Code for Game Engine Extensions

Postby Tempest Desh » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:33 pm

Errors: In BaseAugmentedRealityGameActivity.java: "The import org.anddev.andengine.opengl.view.ComponentSizeChooser cannot be resolved" and at line 56: ComponentSizeChooser cannot be resolved to a type.

Quick Fixes for first error: Create class/interface/annotation/enum in package org.andev.andengine.opengl.view. Remove unused import. Organize imports. Fix project settings.

Which should I choose?

Thanks again
Tempest Desh

Postby RealMayo » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:33 pm

In a special case like this where you have found a bug in one of the AndEngine Extensions (and you have determined a possible workaround), you should post it as an issue in github, so that Nicolas (the inventor of AndEngine) gets notified. So I think you should post this as a New Issue here...
https://github.com/nicolasgramlich/AndEngineAugmentedRealityExtension/issues
RealMayo

Postby Tempest Desh » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:55 pm

Thanks. As far as say, making a tower defense game, how necessary are the extensions themselves? I've got the game engine itself running with no problems, but the extensions themselves, as I've stated (started this thread 'cause of them, lol), are giving me these problems. I've read that I have to link the game engine to whatever project I happen to be working on, in order to access the game engine library, but if I forgo the extensions, would be able to still create a tower defense game? Either way, I look forward to helping work out the kinks I've stumbled across. It would be nice to know which things, in addition to the game engine itself, the IDE, SDK, etc. that I'll actually need to develop a game of that specific genre. Thanks in advance.

See ya on the flipside,

Tempest Desh
Tempest Desh

Postby RealMayo » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:55 am

Yes you can ignore such Extensions as AugmentedReality if that is the type of game you are building.
Aside from the "AndEngine" named extension, the only other extensions I could forsee you MAYBE needing (depending on how you build your game) would be...
PhysicsBox2dExtension
TMXTiledMapExtension
TexturePackerExtension
RealMayo

Postby Tempest Desh » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:45 am

Well, so far I've tried to get those three extensions and I have them (with errors) and I tried the github link for the TMXTiledMapExtension, but I'm getting an HTTP 406 error with Mercurial. Also, assuming I'm eventually able to handle these issues, I'm not sure where to start with a tower defense game. I've checked this one post with the source code for a generic tower defense game, but, having tried to follow the instructions, I'm a bit confused. Is there any general tutorial out for this genre of games. I'm not asking for someone to do everything for me, I just needed to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks.
Tempest Desh

Postby RealMayo » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:16 pm

Regarding tower defense games, there are no other tutorials out there.
Regarding getting the extensions working, have you watched my tutorials?...
RealMayo

Postby Tempest Desh » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:07 am

I'm on part two of the three tutorials for getting started with AndEngine.
Tempest Desh

Return to Tutorials