Eclipse, AndEngine and HelloWorld!!!

... tutorials on how to use AndEngine.

Re: Eclipse, AndEngine and HelloWorld!!!

Postby vcarl » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:59 am

I've run into a problem with SpriteExample.java. I copied the code (changing the location of the image to load as a texture), and I can't get it to stop force-closing. I'm not sure if the problem is that the image can't be found, something is configured wrong, or something else, and I've run out of ideas on how to troubleshoot. I used Eclipse's debugger to go line-by-line, commented out lines to attempt to isolate the problem, and tried outputting text at certain points to establish a point of failure, but I'm totally new to Android programming and haven't had any luck. Any help would be much appreciated!

EDIT: Scratch that, I found the problem. Was a problem with the location.
vcarl

Postby keendify » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:27 pm

location of the class?
keendify

Postby canyi » Mon May 02, 2011 10:00 am

thanks very much! it is very helpful for me...
canyi

Postby Zaandroid » Wed May 18, 2011 11:20 pm

oldskool73 wrote:the @override issue is because you have your java compliance level set to 1.5, go project->properties->java compiler and set the compliance level to 1.6, clean the project and the errors should go away.

Thanks a lot man!
Zaandroid

Postby rockstonic52 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:57 pm

Hi.

First of all, thank you for putting together these awesome tutorials. I just got my first droid yesterday, and I'm already rendering in OGL (took me way longer to get my first app up on win32 oh so many years ago.) This has been amazing help.

I have a question concerning the sprite remove example...and I think it boils down to me being a C++ dev more than a Java dev and not fully understanding variable scope. I am able to debug through the code below on touch event, and everything is fine until it attempts to remove the sprite. Once I get to the run() function, pScene is out of scope, nulled in the debugger, and the line does nothing. Any idea how I would be able to make this line functional?

Thank you for any assistance you can provide!

Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]
Using java Syntax Highlighting
  1. @Override
  2.         public boolean onSceneTouchEvent(final Scene pScene, final TouchEvent pSceneTouchEvent) {
  3.                 /* Removing entities can only be done safely on the UpdateThread.
  4.                  * Doing it while updating/drawing can
  5.                  * cause an exception with a suddenly missing entity.
  6.                  * Alternatively, there is a possibility to run the TouchEvents on the UpdateThread by default, by doing:
  7.                  * engineOptions.getTouchOptions().setRunOnUpdateThread(true);
  8.                  * when creating the Engine in onLoadEngine(); */
  9.                 this.runOnUpdateThread(new Runnable() {
  10.                         @Override
  11.                         public void run() {
  12.                                 /* Now it is save to remove the entity! */
  13.                                 pScene.detachChild(SpriteRemoveExample.this.mFaceToRemove);
  14.                         }
  15.                 });
  16.                 return false;
  17.         }
Parsed in 0.033 seconds, using GeSHi 1.0.8.4
rockstonic52

Postby jeo77 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:10 pm

vcarl wrote:I've run into a problem with SpriteExample.java. I copied the code (changing the location of the image to load as a texture), and I can't get it to stop force-closing. I'm not sure if the problem is that the image can't be found, something is configured wrong, or something else, and I've run out of ideas on how to troubleshoot. I used Eclipse's debugger to go line-by-line, commented out lines to attempt to isolate the problem, and tried outputting text at certain points to establish a point of failure, but I'm totally new to Android programming and haven't had any luck. Any help would be much appreciated!

EDIT: Scratch that, I found the problem. Was a problem with the location.

Hey, I'm having this problem as well, but with no luck on fixing it... I've placed the appropriate image under assets > gfx, but that doesn't seem to be fixing it. I've noticed the example's gfx folder has a little orange square in the bottom right corner of the folder icon, but my sprite example folder doesn't...this have anything to do with it? I'm taking potshots now here... =/
jeo77

Postby dualcnhq » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:02 am

still having errors installing the AndEngine in Eclipse even if i clean and build it for many times...
please help me...
ERROR: Unable to open class file C:\Droid\AndEngineExamples\gen\org\anddev\andengine\examples\R.java: No such file or directory
dualcnhq

Camera

Postby jubin » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:26 am

Hello

Thank you this is good tutorial.Could you please explain me what is camera.

Thanks
jubin

Postby 2Tie » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:56 am

Uhm... I have the AndEngine and AndEngine examples and all the extensions... But since they're no longer .jar files, how would i 'link' to them in the Hello World tutorial?
2Tie

Postby nivangerow » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:35 pm

2Tie wrote:Uhm... I have the AndEngine and AndEngine examples and all the extensions... But since they're no longer .jar files, how would i 'link' to them in the Hello World tutorial?

Same question here. Im kinda stuck now, and really wanna develop.
nivangerow

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials