[PUBLISHED]AndEngine GLES2.0 AnchorCenter Book

... tutorials on how to use AndEngine.

[PUBLISHED]AndEngine GLES2.0 AnchorCenter Book

Postby jaym » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:41 am

Update - The book has been published as of 1/15/2013 and may now be purchased from amazon or directly from PacktPub.com

Greetings AndEngine developers,

Throughout the past year, I've put most of my AndEngine development on hold as far as personal projects go. I've tried to continue to provide tid-bits of helpful information/applications, but I've been tied down for a good reason and so states a large portion of my recent posts (or lack-there-of).

With that being said, I am happy to announce the AndEngine for Android Game Development Cookbook, which will soon be published by Packt Publication. There has been a lot of work put into this book, and will continue to be a lot of work put into the book until it is successfully released into the market.

While this post serves, for the most part, as a means to announce the book, we are still in the process of writing and rewriting, so feel free to make public, specific AndEngine topics you may be interested in seeing in the book.

Please, enjoy.
Last edited by jaym on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:56 am, edited 7 times in total.
AndEngine for Android Game Development Cookbook - Based on AndEngine's latest, greatest, GLES2.0 AnchorCenter branch!
jaym

Re: AndEngine GLES2.0 AnchorCenter Book

Postby RealMayo » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:22 am

That is awesome jaym!
We've been in need of an AndEngine book for a long time now!
I think your book will be a great asset to this community and I'm glad you put in the time and effort to make it.

Hey all of you people who are new to AndEngine, go check out this book!
RealMayo

Postby Ungaze » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:01 am

Really great news!!!!!

Wish you all the best in this one Jaym and am looking forward on getting a copy of your book.

While this post serves, for the most part, as a means to announce the book, we are still in the process of writing and rewriting, so feel free to make public, specific AndEngine topics you may be interested in seeing in the book.

I for one would am looking forward on the topic about TimerHandlers/UpdateHandlers and Entity Modifiers. Godspeed!
Ungaze

Postby glogic » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:35 pm

thats brill Jaym, nice work ill definately be picking up a copy.
Will you be adding anything in relation to merging native controls and andengine? such as displaying video within a game scene?
glogic

Postby jaym » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:38 pm

There is indeed a section discussing implementing AndEngine as a view. Unfortunately, there's no examples of how to actually mix AndEngine and native android controls/views together. That is leaning more toward general Android layout development, which is something that otherwise has nothing to do with AndEngine for the most part. However, If you already know how to add buttons, manage layout views, and so on at a basic level, then the topic will be enough to help you understand how to work AndEngine into that system.

By the way, as Packt's website states, I have not been the only one to dedicate my time and effort in the writing of this book. I will leave it up to him if he would like to present himself. I figured I should point that out as to not take all of the credit.
AndEngine for Android Game Development Cookbook - Based on AndEngine's latest, greatest, GLES2.0 AnchorCenter branch!
jaym

Postby IFL » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:04 am

Hey everyone! I'm the other author. Expect to see a beta version of the book's game in the next few days :!:

Also, to reiterate what Jay said, if you have any specific topics that you'd like to see in the book, let us know while we still have time to add them.

Cheers,
IFL
IFL

Postby Niffy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:38 pm

jaym wrote:There is indeed a section discussing implementing AndEngine as a view. Unfortunately, there's no examples of how to actually mix AndEngine and native android controls/views together. That is leaning more toward general Android layout development, which is something that otherwise has nothing to do with AndEngine for the most part. However, If you already know how to add buttons, manage layout views, and so on at a basic level, then the topic will be enough to help you understand how to work AndEngine into that system.

Are you aware of the fragment layout?

features/fragmentactivty-fixedstepmaxfpsengine-paletteswapshader-t8168.html
A small bit of code on how to get it to work, after that its just normal android layout programming.
Niffy

Postby jaym » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:25 am

I have seen your implementation of fragments into AndEngine. That may be something worth mentioning in the book, but unfortunately due to the size of the chapter dealing with activities/lifecycles, it would be a stretch for me to obtain approval for additional recipes/explained information.

Without looking too far into things, I don't see there being any issues, but would you expect the code to work with the Anchor-Center branch without making any adaptions to your code?
jaym

Postby jaym » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:49 am

For those of you who are not yet aware, the book is scheduled for publication in December of 2012. Make sure you've got the AnchorCenter branch downloaded, ready, and waiting in Eclipse for the release of the book!
jaym

Postby Psionic » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:29 pm

http://www.packtpub.com/andengine-for-a ... kbook/book

"RAW FAQ

This book is currently available as a RAW (Read As we Write) book. A RAW book is an ebook, and this one is priced at 20% of the usual eBook price. Once you purchase the RAW book, you can immediately download the content of the book so far, and when new chapters become available, you will be notified, and can download the new version of the book. When the book is published, you will receive the full, finished eBook.

If you like, you can preorder the print book at the same time as you purchase the RAW book at a significant discount.

Since a RAW book is an eBook, a RAW book is non returnable and non refundable.

Local taxes may apply to your eBook purchase."

So basically if I buy the RAW version now.I will be able to get the rest of the book once is finished without paying extra or I`m understanding it wrong ?
Psionic

Next

Return to Tutorials