XML Level Editor [For ANDROID Phone]

... questions about tools around the development with AndEngine.

XML Level Editor [For ANDROID Phone]

Postby Mathew » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:08 pm

Hello, few minutes ago I have started developing XML Level Editor for android phone, so player of my game will be able to make their own maps, plus it will be easier for me.

As I said, I just started, but there isn't much to do

Current state (06.04.2012)

(Bar in right side is a up/down slider with avialble tiles to place - two for test as we can see on screen ;) )

It would be basically Mobile/Portable android version of My PC XML Level Editor (which is not completed, since I can't find motivation to touch it, and making android version will be more useful, ability for player's to make their own levels, plus I find it much easier making such tool for android using and'engine, instead of writing stand alone desktop java editor.

Tell me what do you think, maybe someone will be willing to cooperate to make it more pro, since I don't have much time to make 435345345435 features :D (month left till important exam, plus would be cool to finally finish my game :/!)
Last edited by Mathew on Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mathew

Re: XML Level Editor [For ANDROID Phone]

Postby OzLark » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:05 am

Hi Mathew,

I too wanted to make an Android level editor - so I will certainly offer to contribute.

Sounds excellent.
Did this post help you? Feel free to return the gesture by downloading Ninja Bees, creating a level (or more) and sharing it to the Ninja Bees website!

Ninja Bees - Our latest Android game, check it out on Google Play (free) or paid with no ads
OzLark

Postby Mathew » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:44 pm

So we can contact together, some new features added:

- align added tile to grid
- lock/unlock grid not to change position of tiles while zooming etc
- clearing whole map
- default zoom factor button

etc
Mathew

Postby Mathew » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:49 pm

Implemented hardest (for me) feature, scroll bar for available tiles:

(Bar in right side is a up/down slider with avialble tiles to place - two for test as we can see on screen ;) )

It might be obviously scrolled up and down.
Mathew

Postby OzLark » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:27 am

Hi Mathew,

Looks like you're going nice and fast on this - I'm in the middle of implementing some features in my game, as soon as I get a chance, I'll join in and help - I have some different requirements that I'd like to add too.

Cheers.
Did this post help you? Feel free to return the gesture by downloading Ninja Bees, creating a level (or more) and sharing it to the Ninja Bees website!

Ninja Bees - Our latest Android game, check it out on Google Play (free) or paid with no ads
OzLark

Postby Mathew » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:15 pm

Finished version strictly intended for my current game, works like a charm, I didn't expect that now creating new levels will be so simple in compare to making them on desktop app, saving a loooooot of time, plus we can see how does it exactly look on phone.

Now I will work a little bit to make it more extensive, and maybe possibility to initialize tiles selected by user from app, without forcing developer to modify code to add his tiles, compile etc, so it could be used by other dev's in future.
Mathew

Postby OzLark » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:13 am

Mathew, that looks excellent, great work.

OzLark

Postby kblood » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:46 pm

Awesome :) I am hoping to make something like this. Tools for making game stuff, or games themselves on the Android device. There are already a few games with built in level editors, but this looks very nice :)

I have been having some trouble with AndEngine and Eclipse, so I will begin trying to make something with Unity 3D, but I am not sure if I can make custom key-bindings and level editors with that the way I am hoping to. But I will give it a try. From what I have tried so far, it certainly seems powerful enough to let the imagination set the limit.
kblood

Postby Mathew » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:00 am

Been away from development, will release this tool in near future if someone would be interested.
Mathew

Postby Coder_For_Life22 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:11 pm

Yep. Been waiting for it!
Coder_For_Life22

Next

Return to Tools