Tips For New Games

... announce your new project or blog about the development of your project.

Tips For New Games

Postby Coder_For_Life22 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:28 pm

What up guys,

So in a few weeks i have a new game that is coming out. I would like to know any tips, advice, things to do, or not to do before i release my game.

I figured this would be a nice guide for people who are about to recently publish a game.

Any advice or tips are welcomed!

Thanks
Coder_For_Life22

Re: Tips For New Games

Postby RealMayo » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:48 pm

1) Do NOT choose the copy protection option in the Android Dev Console before publishing your game. That will cause the size of your game to triple in size and also it inhibits your game from being allowed to be "moved to SD card"
2) In your AndroidMainfest.xml add the option "preferExternal". Also note that users see "versionName", but they don't see "versionCode"
Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]
Using java Syntax Highlighting
  1. <manifest xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"
  2.     package="com.mycompany.mygame"
  3.     android:versionCode="12"
  4.     android:versionName="1.06"
  5.     android:installLocation="preferExternal" >
Parsed in 0.011 seconds, using GeSHi 1.0.8.4

3) Protect your code. Obfuscate your java files like this...
http://www.andengine.org/forums/tutorials/how-to-use-proguard-to-obfuscate-your-andengine-project-t738.html?hilit=obfuscate#p6500
And separately encrypt your database file (like your SQLite database) if you are using one
4) Get more 5 star ratings by making it extremely easy for users who are happy with your game to be able to rate you. Therefore have a "Rate us" button in your game. Somebody who hates your game has enough motivation to go through all of the steps to search for you in the market and then give you 1 star. Conversely, somebody who loves your game may not feel like going through the effort of finding you in the market in order to give you 5 stars. That is why you have to provide them a direct link to make it easy for them to give you 5 stars. But DON'T force people to rate you, or else you'll get bad ratings from people who resent the fact that you forced them to rate you in order to unlock certain features in your game. (forcing them to like you on facebook is a different story ;) )
5) Get less 1 star ratings by making it extremely easy for angry people to email you. If they can easily contact you the moment they get angry, and you can give them awesome customer service, then you might be able to avoid getting a 1 star rating from that person. Therefore have a "Contact us" button in your game.
6) Make a promotional YouTube video. If a user is not sure if they want to download your game or not, the promo video can make all the difference to show them how cool your game really is. Only having pictures of your game, sometimes isn't enough.
7) Once you publish your game, don't advertise your game to anybody until you have had a chance to officially download it yourself from the market and play with it to make sure that it is working properly. Get a few close friends who have different kinds of phones/tablets to play the official copy of your game to let you know if they find any defects. For example I didn't know that on some phones, my game was displaying black boxes here and there on the screen. I never saw that happen on my testing phone :oops:
8) When you are ready to advertise your game, send emails to all of the different online publications telling them about your game. AndroidShock.com and AppEggs.com are the easiest ones to get an immediate review from. Then definitely contact AppBrain.com and AndroidPolice.com after that.
9) Have a locked level tied to Facebook ;)
Unlike forcing somebody to "rate" you, forcing somebody to "Like" you has no negative consequences, only good can come from it. And on your Facebook page, make regular posts which tell your fans what features/levels will be released soon so that they have something to look forward to and so that they can "Like" your posts (and then all of their facebook friends will see that they liked those posts - which serves to continue to promote your game)
10) Use Google's In-App Billing feature for in in-game features that need to be purchased before they can be used
http://developer.android.com/guide/google/play/billing/index.html
11) Use Admob in your game in order to make a bit of money for all of your hard work!
RealMayo

Postby tmcthree » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:05 am

useful thread
tmcthree

Postby Coder_For_Life22 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:33 pm

Wow nice tips Mayo.

I had a question. How do you check to see if someone likes you or not on facebook? Or do you simply give the option and make the user click on "like" and then once they do it goes to the web page and they wont know if they actually have to like the page?

Hope you know what i mean.

Also i had a question about guys with abmob, anyone doing good with it?
Coder_For_Life22

Postby skunktrader » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:41 am

Coder_For_Life22 wrote:I had a question. How do you check to see if someone likes you or not on facebook? Or do you simply give the option and make the user click on "like" and then once they do it goes to the web page and they wont know if they actually have to like the page?

http://www.andengine.org/forums/project-development-blogs/traktor-digger-t8505-10.html#p37894
Coder_For_Life22 wrote:Also i had a question about guys with abmob, anyone doing good with it?

http://www.andengine.org/forums/project-development-blogs/is-admob-earning-you-anything-t8656.html
skunktrader

Postby RealMayo » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:32 pm

More tips...
The first 30 days that your game is on the market are the most important. Why....
1) During this time, your game can exist in the Top New Free sections of:
a) Google Apps
b) Google Games
c) Brain & Puzzle Category (or whatever category your game belongs to)
After 30 days, your game is removed from those sections
2) And during the first two weeks, your game can exist in the Trending Apps section
After the first 14 days, your game is removed from this section

Right now my game is gone from all of those sections :(
But I had a nice 30 day run... at the 30 day mark I had...
Total Installs: 2 million
Active Installs: 1 million

So how do you even get into those sections in the first place, and how do you climb to the top of those sections?...
It is based on the rate of downloads (aka downloads per day) as well as your ratings (my game averaged 3.9 stars).

So you need to push hard with marketing your game in the first 30 days!

I'll admit I did something kind of embarrassing and I'm not sure how effective it was, but you can try this too if you want... I made business cards for my game and I left them everywhere...
a) Every morning I'd grab a coffee at a different coffee shop and I'd leave a small stack of these cards by the sugar and cream on the counter
b) Every newspaper box in my town that had free newspapers inside (so you could open the door of the newspaper box without paying) I'd put a card in the display window in front of the newspaper.
c) Any restaurants or cafes that had outdoor seating, I'd leave a card here and there on each table.
d) Any time I ate at a place that had a waiter/waitress, I'd pay for my bill and include a card with my money. I also left a card in the container that had packs of sugar in it.
e) Any bar I went to I would sit right in front of the beer taps and leave a small stack of cards there on the counter
f) If I was walking past a phone store (like Verizon) and saw an employee standing outside having a smoke, I'd give him a card
g) When I would order pizza for pickup, I'd give the cashier guy a card. Basically anytime I was exchanging cash with somebody I'd give them a card!
h) I walked by the gaming stores and comic book stores and left a small stack of cards on the window ledge outside their store.
i) I would leave a small stack of cards at each bus stop.

But I only did all of that for the first week. Once the word was out, Facebook carried me the rest of the way.

Here's what my business card looked like...
RealMayo

Postby Allough » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Another tip from me would be to go to your local stores that sell phones, like Freedom Wireless, Radio Shack, that sort of thing.

With only a small amount of grovelling they let me place a 8 1/2 x 11 poster for my game right in the middle of the Android display! There was a noticeable bump in sales during the month those posters were there.
Allough

Postby tmcthree » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:02 pm

I'll admit I did something kind of embarrassing
:-D

I don't think that's embarrassing, I think shows you'll do what it takes to make it.

let's just hope the city doesn't sue you for littering. ;-)
tmcthree

Postby tmcthree » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:20 pm

one thing that has occurred to me is perhaps, we, as andengine developers could form a loose association where we advertise each others games.
The sum of our parts being greater than the whole.

After all we are bound to be able to acquire users from each other that we wouldn't already have. I haven't released a game yet, so I wouldn't be able to offer anything t, but for example, I know primadawn has released a game with at least a million downloads. Real mayo the same, and by the looks of it your games would appeal to similar audiences, so it seems to me, that you should have a "more games" button on each others game that links to the other. Perhaps with a view to adding more games to the association * cough* boxing* cough as other games of sufficient quality were released.

I would bet there are hundreds of thousands of potential users that use one but not both games.
tmcthree

Postby Allough » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:58 pm

Interesting idea. Sort of a "in house ad network". Only this case, "in andengine ad network"
Allough

Next

Return to Projects & Project-Development Blogs