China ???

... announce your new project or blog about the development of your project.

China ???

Postby RealMayo » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:31 pm

Has anybody published their game in one of the unofficial Android online app stores in China?
Which online store did you choose?
What was your experience (good or bad) ?
Did you submit a paid app? Or a free app with ads?
Does Admob successfully serve ads and pay you on phones that are operating out of China?
Thanks
RealMayo

Re: China ???

Postby skunktrader » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:35 am

I have never submitted my app to any app stores in China -- however, it has been listed on some of the unofficial sites in the US and I guess there have been some downloads to China from there.
My Admob stats include numerous impressions to China as well as clicks which have been credited to my account.
skunktrader

Postby RealMayo » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:31 pm

Ok so I just submitted Traktor Digger to two app stores in China...
1) Samsung app store http://seller.samsungapps.com
2) Lenovo app store http://developer.lenovomm.com/developer/
Those are the top two smartphone companies in China. And they each have their own app store preinstalled on their phones. There are tons of different app stores in China, but I figured this was the best approach. Further note that AdMob works in China. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-22/google-finally-leads-in-china-in-app-ad-sales.html

When you're on those Chinese websites, if you are using Chrome browser, you can right click on the site and choose Translate.

I haven't noticed any significant improvement in my Admob revenue based on this move to China.
What I have noticed, at least in the Lenovo app store, are hacked copies of my game that existed before I even posted it there myself. In fact when I tried to upload my game I got an error like "package name already exists". I emailed support mmsupport@lenovo.com who were suprisingly responsive (responded within 24hrs). They then told me they "fixed" the problem... which I read to mean they removed one of the hacked copies so that I could upload mine lol. Today I sent them another email asking them to remove the remaining hacked copies from their store. We'll see what happens.

If you use Google Translate http://translate.google.com and find the Chinese translation of the name of your game, you can then search the Lenovo app store in Chinese and see if there are any illegal copies of your game there http://www.lenovomm.com/appstore/html/index.html
Try searching for Traktor Digger there as an example. Note the v2.99 copy is my legal copy, the other copies are hacked copies. Use these Chinese characters in your search...
拖拉机

I've heard that the hackers reprogram/repackage your game so that THEY are the ones who receive any Admob revenue from it. So at this point I'm guessing everybody in China has already played the hacked copies of my game, so it was kind of pointless to upload my legal copy of it at this point. That's why I suggest to all of you to upload copies of your games ASAP so that Chinese users play your copy of the game first, and you are the one who gets the money.

Nevertheless there are tons of other Chinese app stores to consider as well...
http://www.gizchina.com/2012/08/14/20-ways-to-get-free-android-apps-downloads/
RealMayo

Postby Matthias » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:44 pm

OMG! WTF!
lenovo store :)
bitter-candy.JPG
bitter-candy.JPG (28.05 KiB) Viewed 5041 times
Matthias

Postby RealMayo » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:52 pm

Yup! Send an email to that address.
And if that support email address gets you no response in 24hrs, I have a more powerful email address you can send to ;) :twisted:
RealMayo

Postby thepi » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:13 am

I tried to post my game to 4 biggest Chinese stores. I signed in and filled all the translated descriptions, because there was no option to just use the link from Google play.

Then after few days two stores (wandouija and I don't remember the second one) responded in chinese I don't have the rights to publish my games. So I asked them to explain to me, what do I have to do, to publish my games in their store. After that there was no response and I really don't care since I can see the games find their way to Chinese stores without my consent and without having to sign in. They are free, anyway.

When I'll start publishing paid games, probably I'll have to be more careful. Thanks for pointing this out.
Go and trap them... Trap Balls on Google Play
Play & reminisce... Treasure Island LCD Retro
thepi

Postby Primadawn » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:20 am

F!@#$%
Had a look in Lenovo store and found 8 different versions of Lazy Snakes including two with version numbers I didn't create!
They even changed the icon in some of them by cannibalising screenshots (ugly!)

One of the "creators" of Lazy Snakes there, has over 900 apps to his name :roll: :evil:
Primadawn

Postby Ungaze » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:44 am

I've heard that the hackers reprogram/repackage your game so that THEY are the ones who receive any Admob revenue from it.

WTF!!!

How are they doing that? Can't we do something to kind of encrypt our apps so modifying it won't be easy(if not impossible)? Are there any legal actions we can do to protect our apps?
Ungaze

Postby Coder_For_Life22 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:21 am

Ungaze wrote:
I've heard that the hackers reprogram/repackage your game so that THEY are the ones who receive any Admob revenue from it.

WTF!!!

How are they doing that? Can't we do something to kind of encrypt our apps so modifying it won't be easy(if not impossible)? Are there any legal actions we can do to protect our apps?

I know..Im actually starting to fear this.... :( Some other idiot hacking and stealing someones hard work and make a profit.... :evil:
Coder_For_Life22

Postby Ungaze » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:03 am

Yeah, heck every developer should fear this!

BTW, how does big game developers/studios(like rovio, halfbrick, other big developers who offer free versions of their games) deal with this kind of attacks? This stuff is getting on my nerves. Can't get to work right. :evil:
Ungaze

Next

Return to Projects & Project-Development Blogs