China ???

... announce your new project or blog about the development of your project.

Re: China ???

Postby Ungaze » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:19 pm

Good news indeed. Justice has prevailed once again.
Ungaze

Postby RealMayo » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:44 pm

Matthias wrote:well at least some good news from lenovo app store ;)
http://techwhack.com/lenovo-android-app ... lled-4766/

5 days to go...

I'm totally surprised!
But part of me wonders if the Chinese Lenovo app store is a separate entity from the English Lenovo app store.
RealMayo

Postby chris54321 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:32 am

Here's the guy who uploaded all the pirated games:

Don't blame him, he's just trying to buy his bowl of rice for the day.
chris54321

Postby RealMayo » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:12 am

:lol:
RealMayo

Postby ck » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:18 am

Having lived in China for the last 5-6 years or so, I thought I'd share my 2 cents.

Basically guys, forget about China or forget about making money from China. Focus on countries that have ethics and a real antipiracy laws. From my experience Japan, South Korea, Thailand and Philippines are the way to go. You can actually sell paid apps in the former 2 countries and make money of ads int the latter 2.

As for China, most of the phones being sold here come with preinstalled black market apps, that have everything from free premium versions to hacked add supported versions of most apps. Google Play is not available and personally I don't know a single person who uses lenovo or samsung app stores.

Here's the most popular black market site at the moment: http://apk.91.com/
It's got an android app for it an everything and I'm pretty sure it's got some of my apps in there as well (that I didn't publish).

So yeah, I guess the point I'm trying to make is, don't waste too much time worrying the Chinese market, and try to break through in neighboring countries. Sure China's population is huge, but most of it is too poor or unwilling to spend 99 cents on an app, when they can get it for free. And the 1% of the population that have the means to buy whatever they want, are using iPhones :)
ck

Postby RealMayo » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:00 pm

Ck,
That was very informative, thanks.
I know you say to avoid China, but what are your opinions of the ndoo or nduo markets and the tencent market and others?
RealMayo

Postby ck » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:34 pm

nduoa, tencent and lenovo markets are or at least try to be legit. So I guess if you really want to enter the Chinese market, that would be the way to go. Also you would probably need someone who could translate your descriptions and keywords into correct Simplified Chinese (the auto translation from Google is not gonna get you a lot of downloads.) What kind of CPMs are you getting from China anyway?

Larger point is that if you release and app in the Chinese market, and it becomes a hit, a week later, the Chinese developers will release a clone based on your idea that's gonna overshadow your app in China and abroad :) It took Tencent just three days to copy Twitter :)
ck

Postby RealMayo » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:55 pm

I hear you,
I know its inevitable that China will hack stuff. I guess my position is that we developers have a first movers advantage and can at least try to get in early and make a few bucks in China before our stuff gets hacked, rather than do nothing, make no money, and still get hacked.
My game now exists legally in both the Lenovo store and the Samsung store. The Samsung store is totally out-performing the Lenovo store, but still not nearly as good as the Google Play store. The Samsung store has a strict 10 day review period, before your app can exist in their store. There are no hacked copies of anything in the Samsung store and so that is why I think my app is performing better there. In the Lenovo store, everybody has already played the hacked copies of my game and have no interest in playing the legal copy.

On an unrelated (but entertaining) note...
I happened to be watching a tv show the other day called "Jungle Gold", where these two Americans pre-arrange with a local tribe chief to do some gold mining on his land in Ghana, Africa. When they arrive in Ghana, the mining location is already overrun by Chinese gold miners who are toting guns. The Americans say to the tribe chief "you promised us that we could do gold mining on your land, and we paid you money already to reserve your land, why are all these Chinese guys here instead?". The chief said "there was nothing I could do, the Chinese just showed up with guns and told me they are going to start mining my land!".
RealMayo

Postby RealMayo » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:51 pm

Hi guys,
I thought I'd give you an update...

Lenovo China app store:
October 19th ~ November 4th
61 downloads

Samsung Global app store:
October 26th ~ November 4th
124 downloads from China
4,881 downloads worldwide (all countries)

Google Play store:
Daily
3,000 downloads

Amazon.com store
Daily
30 purchases of $1 app
RealMayo

Postby Coder_For_Life22 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:20 am

Wow, that's good RealMayo. Wish I had 3,000 downloads a day. :-/

How did you get so much momentum behind your game? As far the Samsung appstore, etc?

Sounds like you definitely got the right momentum going behind your game.
Coder_For_Life22

PreviousNext

Return to Projects & Project-Development Blogs