China ???

... announce your new project or blog about the development of your project.

Re: China ???

Postby dlf_workshop » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:01 am

i'm chinese, i can help you to put your game on some good market in china.
dlf_workshop@126.com
dlf_workshop

Postby Allough » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:43 pm

My steps, which seem to be working so far as none of my games showed up in those stores:

1. Use Proguard
2. Make the app report back to a server you own. This costs me $5 a month, and I could conceivable remotely lock my app down. I've never had too. There are some chinese installs, but not enough to write home about
Allough

Postby RealMayo » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:20 pm

I use Proguard and so does Primadawn, but our apps still got hacked.
Proguard serves to "obfuscate" your code. That simply makes it "harder" to hack, not "impossible" to hack.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4336637/is-it-really-impossible-to-protect-android-apps-from-reverse-engineering

If your game gets hacked, then it doesn't matter if your game makes callbacks to a server. The hackers will just modify that code to their liking.

One thing you can try is when you publish your game in the Google Play Store, then on the Google Play Admin screen you can turn on "copy protection". I don't know how well this protects your game, but I do know that it serves to triple the file size of your game and prohibits the option for users to move your game to SD card. I didn't use this option because of this.
RealMayo

Postby jaym » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:53 pm

What's really disappointing about all of this is that there's paper trails leading all the way back to the hackers, they are incredibly easy to find in a public market, and they get PAID on a monthly/bimonthly/trimonthly basis like the rest of us. Yet somehow they can't be stopped.

As far as I know, their account may be suspended or banned, but no one thinks to blacklist a credit card for x number of days/months/years. That would be bad for business :roll:
AndEngine for Android Game Development Cookbook - Based on AndEngine's latest, greatest, GLES2.0 AnchorCenter branch!
jaym

Postby Coder_For_Life22 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:56 pm

Ungaze wrote:Yeah, heck every developer should fear this!

BTW, how does big game developers/studios(like rovio, halfbrick, other big developers who offer free versions of their games) deal with this kind of attacks? This stuff is getting on my nerves. Can't get to work right. :evil:

Yes i would like to know this too!
Coder_For_Life22

Postby zeljkoa » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:00 pm

All my games are up there too. I downloaded one to check if anything's changed. They actually changed the package name in the manifest and added a few of their own. For example, Unripe Tomato uses MobiSage ads which I never included in any of my games.
Get Run 'em over on Google Play!
zeljkoa

Postby Cruz182 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:06 pm

I got my best app in that Lenovo store by the user justin, damm chinese i would kill him if i knew who was him...those rats should be nuked
Cruz182

Postby RealMayo » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:28 pm

Cruz182 wrote:I got my best app in that Lenovo store by the user justin, damm chinese i would kill him if i knew who was him...those rats should be nuked

LOL
Well I think the lesson to be learned here is that anytime one of us finishes making a new game, we better immediately upload it to the Lenovo store so that we get first dibs on customers and revenue.

Btw... You'll never believe this irony... part of the sign up process for the Lenovo store is that I had to upload a scanned image of my drivers license or other ID! Like that is their way to try to prevent hackers from uploading copies of games or something :roll:
RealMayo

Postby jaym » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:43 pm

You would think after a "developer" reaches ridiculous numbers such as 100+ apps to the market, that the account would automatically be flagged for investigation. Yet I'm seeing some with over 1000 apps published.

2 copies of Kill the Zombies on lenovo's store. Let's see what the damage is. I wonder if they even went as far as to alter the credits..

EDIT: This particular publisher used an old version of ktz even though he'd uploaded this version a few days ago. Apparently version 2.0 when the official is currently sitting at 1.5.3. No advertisements added, though he had added permissions including location, network communication, storage, phone calls, system tools.

Make sure you remove these apps if you happen to test them out to see what they've changed. Seems likely that they're posing as games to steal info as well as advertising revenue...
AndEngine for Android Game Development Cookbook - Based on AndEngine's latest, greatest, GLES2.0 AnchorCenter branch!
jaym

Postby RealMayo » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:14 am

I totally agree jaym!
Well I guess it's time I share with you all the contact info of the executive over there at Lenovo. She is the Business Development Manager and I even phoned her in China one time and chatted with her because I foolishly thought I could convince her to preinstall my game on all the Lenovo devices. This was before I was aware of the hacking problem. During that call she was probably thinking why should she preinstall my game when her store already has 3 illegal copies of it :twisted: Hey I guess that's the new benchmark for knowing just how popular your game is... see how many illegal copies of it exist in the Lenovo store :evil: :cry:
Well here's her contract info. Please note she has bad English...
Jessie Xu <xujing5@lenovo.com>
phone: +86 1371-844-8346
RealMayo

PreviousNext

Return to Projects & Project-Development Blogs