[BETA] Chicken Of Prey

... announce your new project or blog about the development of your project.

[BETA] Chicken Of Prey

Postby JensL » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:25 pm

Hi everyone,

i proudly invite all of you to the open beta of my first game Chicken Of Prey :D :
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jel.cop.beta

After humanity used up all resources of the earth they left the planet. A new age dawned for the animals but the peace did not last long.
Meet Pete “Maveregg”. A hot shot chicken pilot ready to protect his home against the attacking ducks.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jel.cop.beta

The beta contains the intro and 7 levels of the future release. I will soon add a debug level to show you all the features and enemies.
I plan to release a free version with ~10 levels and a pay-version with ~30 levels and no ads.

I am very interested in your honest opinion about (Dont suspend your judgement, i can take it):
Bugs / Crashes :?
Gameplay
Fun factor
Graphics
Performance(!)
Sound

:idea: One last request. Please play with an active internet connection. I use flurry to send error and performance reports right back to me (of course only with an active internet connection).

i hope you have fun with my little game.
Jens
Last edited by JensL on Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JensL

Re: [BETA] Chicken Of Prey

Postby Matthias » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:41 pm

Hi Jens,

first of all great game, nice graphics and cool story. After the first look I've got a couple of remarks:
1. Couple of mistakes in the German version (veließ->verließ, sein name->sein Name, zeit zu schlüpfen->Zeit zu schlüpfen)
2. The intro scenes could be a bit shorter.
3. After a crash it is still possible to shoot (at least there's a sound)
4. Music still plays if the device is off.
5. Maybe the steering could be a bit more direct (If you press left you should fly left directly and no "loop")

Otherwise a great tutorial!
(Tested on a Samsung Galaxy Tab Note 10.1, works great and graphics are really sharp!)

keep on the great works and good luck!
Matthias
Matthias

Postby JensL » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:01 pm

I just released an update. The user can switch the sides of the controls now. It seams i am the only one wanting the analog control on the left :D .

Thanks for the input Matthias.
JensL

Postby JensL » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:28 pm

I just added a trailer with ingame gameplay footage. See the first post.
JensL

Postby thepi » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:03 pm

I think this game could become a very funny game and much fun.

At the moment I have the following suggestions:
- controls, as others suggested, with better response on which direction you fly to
- faster tempo; I think the game is too slow and it takes too much time when you get fried and you need to fly again all the way from the egg to target
- somehow I flew with chicken on upper right corner and off the screen and I was unable to get the chicken back on screen
Go and trap them... Trap Balls on Google Play
Play & reminisce... Treasure Island LCD Retro
thepi

Postby JensL » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:42 am

Released 0.5.5
Thank you for all the constructive feedback. I released a new version with a few bigger changes to the game. The game has become faster, a little bit easier and even more fun to play.

• Fire by holding the buttons
  • More direct steering
  • Afterburner
  • Skip button :!: Most wanted feature ;) :!:
  • Easier landing
  • Decrease duck rocket speed
  • Bugfix level 6

There are still a lot of things i want to change, so stay tuned.
Have fun
JensL

Postby JensL » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:25 am

Released 0.5.6

Its been a while but here is the new update for the beta(should be up in a few moments). The app should run better on smaller phones.

As a bonus a new level shows all kinds of ducks including the sniper duck and homing rockets.

• New bonus level with rockets and all ducks(Sniper, homing rockets)
  • Settings for smaller phones
  • Changed analog stick

Have fun and give feedback :D
JensL

Postby joaquinrok » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:10 am

Awsome project!

Tried it on a Motorola Defy, it was pretty good, actually much harder that what it looked like.

One gameplay suggestion:
- Being able to go free fall, just stop "flying" and just fall when not touching the screen, that way it would feel more like a bird flying, and not so much as a spaceship ignoring gravity. Also, I felt there should be more of a "constraint" when going directly upwards, it just keeps going up until it hits the roof, and feels pretty unrealistic, maybe it could stop ascending and start a descend, like planes do in most games. (not like there's that much air space when playing on a small phone, but its an idea)

- The pace of the game also tends to get a bit slow, its hard to aim the targets so you tend to keep flying a lot and turning around. Of course, after some practice, that gets better, but the first levels get pretty hard as you get used to the controls.

Apart from that, great graphics, music is outstanding, and the birds/animals/pos-apocalyptic "theme" is great
Congratulations for the work!
joaquinrok

Postby JensL » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:19 am

Thanks for the feedback :D

You are right about the gravity contrain while flying upwards. In an early state of the game i had a higher gravity impact but it did not worked good. But after i added the boost, i should give it another try.

Yes, the flying is unrealistic. But the game is pretty hard and a more realistic behaviour would make it even harder. If you have to fight against gravity, terrain and ducks you lose :D

@All played Chicken of Prey yet: Do you think the game is too hard?

I dont want the game to be too easy. But i dont want to spoil the fun.
JensL

Postby e.r. » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:58 pm

Hey Jen,

I check Chicken of Prey, liked the idea and the music a lot, below is my feedback:
- The tempo (As already mentioned) of the game especially in the transitions: when you finish the game play and the achievements are being shown it would be great if they are presented faster. The same goes when starting the game. The inside game play is not that slow in my opinion but it would be good if it was like 1.15X-1.2X faster.
- The response of the controls when switching directions, when the chicken is heading for the ground and you switch directions upward, you still hit the ground anyways, a better respond i think is better.
- One addition UI suggestion IMHO is in the introduction, the intro, the fonts seems really like standard not related to the game (The white text that is telling the story), it would be better if it goes along with the whole them of the game.
- It is not that hard, but depends if you are targeting the little kids that plays pet games (nothing to do actually in those games), then yes i think it will be hard for them. But for the casual gamer it is not that hard.

Hope you find the above useful,
Cheers,
Elie
e.r.

Next

Return to Projects & Project-Development Blogs