ZDefense

... announce your new project or blog about the development of your project.

ZDefense

Postby zergling_zzh » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:11 am

We just published the game ZDefense to android market. It uses AndEngine as its game Engine. This is my first android game, before that I didn't know how to make a game. It is AndEngine that makes me successfully build my game just in a few months.

Thank you , AndEngine!

I also use some libgdx code in the performance critical part in my game. Now my game can get 60 FPS just on mid-end android phone like Defy.

This is my game's URL. https://market.android.com/details?id=mobi.zstudio.avi
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Last edited by zergling_zzh on Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
zergling_zzh

Re: A new game uses andengine - ZDefense

Postby dironto » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:22 am

Hi.
Looks promising. Will download it. what libvgdx pieces did you use and could you integrate it easily?
Regards,
Ronald
dironto

Postby zergling_zzh » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:44 am

Some utils classes, like Array IntArray IdentityMap Mathutils Pool BufferUtils .
Array IntArray IdentityMap are faster than standard container class.
MathUtils provides a faster sin cos funtion.
Pool can be used for reuse object to reduce GC.
BufferUtils use JNI to provide faster speed.

Another thing I done is porting the SpriteBatch to andengine. It boosts the performance on the low-end phones like G1 hero and slightly increase the performance on mid-end and high-end phones.
zergling_zzh

Postby AfroFire » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:14 pm

Nice work, great finds. Recently Nicholas has implemented a SpriteBatch in to AndEngine (for anyone else who might read this).
AfroFire

Postby Nicolas Gramlich » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:05 pm

Hi,

your game kicks fucking ass :!:
I love it :!:

Only a few things to complain about:
1. It cannot be installed on the XPeria Play (Android 2.3.2) but it works (at least on) the LG Optimus 3D and the Motorola Xoom. The Market-webstore says it is not compatible with the XPeria Play.

Nicolas
zdefense_1.png
zdefense_1.png (248.39 KiB) Viewed 2188 times

2. On the Xoom, the graphics are quite pixelate - see below. (On the LG Optimus 3D with its fairly large 4" - 800x480 px screen, it's perfect!)

3. The hexagons on the LG Optimus 3D look "non-uniform" the "shooting-radius-circle" is perfectly round. On the Xoom the haxagons are "uniform" but the "shooting-radius-circle" is an ellipse. I'm not sure if that is intended.

zdefense_2.png
zdefense_2.png (163.31 KiB) Viewed 2188 times

zdefense_3.png
zdefense_3.png (119.65 KiB) Viewed 2188 times

Do you have a Gameplay video somewhere :?: I'd like to feature this on the blog soon :)

Best Regards,
Nicolas Gramlich
Site Admin

Postby Nicolas Gramlich » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:27 pm

Hi,

one other thing that could be improved is the level-selection.
Currently what you see is:
Tutorial
Tutorial 1
Tutorial 2
Tutorial 3
Tutorial 4
Tutorial 5
Normal

The problem is that it doesn't look like a list. I think this can be easily solved by making the listitems slightly smaller, so that we can see a part of the first item of the "Normal" category.

Best Regards,
Nicolas
Nicolas Gramlich
Site Admin

Postby zergling_zzh » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:53 pm

AfroFire wrote:Nice work, great finds. Recently Nicholas has implemented a SpriteBatch in to AndEngine (for anyone else who might read this).

Thank you for letting me know. I hasn't check the update of AndEngine for a long time.

I just took a look on SpriteBatch & SpriteGroup provided by andEngine, they looks great! Clean, well-organized and easy to use.
zergling_zzh

Postby zergling_zzh » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:03 pm

zergling_zzh wrote:Some utils classes, like Array IntArray IdentityMap Mathutils Pool BufferUtils .
Array IntArray IdentityMap are faster than standard container class.
MathUtils provides a faster sin cos funtion.
Pool can be used for reuse object to reduce GC.
BufferUtils use JNI to provide faster speed.

Another thing I done is porting the SpriteBatch to andengine. It boosts the performance on the low-end phones like G1 hero and slightly increase the performance on mid-end and high-end phones.

Another improvement I forgot to mention is RGB_565 texture support. In our game we use many textures don't have alpha info, by modifying AndEngine to support RGB_565 texture, the performance is improved by 10%+.

It is a dirty hack, I just modified a few lines to add the RGB_565 support. It would be great if the AndEngine will officially support different textures options like RGB_565 RGBA_4444 etc.
zergling_zzh

Postby Nicolas Gramlich » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:01 pm

Hi,

zergling_zzh wrote:Another improvement I forgot to mention is RGB_565 texture support. In our game we use many textures don't have alpha info, by modifying AndEngine to support RGB_565 texture, the performance is improved by 10%+.

It is a dirty hack, I just modified a few lines to add the RGB_565 support. It would be great if the AndEngine will officially support different textures options like RGB_565 RGBA_4444 etc.

could you share those changes with me :?: Technically you are even required to make them public :P
Snippets of the relevant sections are fine, Patches would be perfect :)

Best Regards,
Nicolas
Nicolas Gramlich
Site Admin

Postby zergling_zzh » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:16 pm

Nicolas Gramlich wrote:Only a few things to complain about:
1. It cannot be installed on the XPeria Play (Android 2.3.2) but it works (at least on) the LG Optimus 3D and the Motorola Xoom. The Market-webstore says it is not compatible with the XPeria Play.

I am glad you like it :)

On the Xperia play compatibility issue, it is really strange, I checked the supported devices list on the app management page, Xepria play is not in it. But the game just has a few market filtering, android.hardware.touchscreen /armeabi-v7a armeabi/android 2.1+ and NORMAL LARGE XLARGE screen layouts, that is all. Nothing special except armebi-v7a armeabi support. I use libgdx, that use jni. So it requires these 2 native platforms. But I search libgdx & xperia play, it seems no other users have compatibility issue. I totally have no idea. :(

Nicolas Gramlich wrote:2. On the Xoom, the graphics are quite pixelate - see below. (On the LG Optimus 3D with its fairly large 4" - 800x480 px screen, it's perfect!)

3. The hexagons on the LG Optimus 3D look "non-uniform" the "shooting-radius-circle" is perfectly round. On the Xoom the haxagons are "uniform" but the "shooting-radius-circle" is an ellipse. I'm not sure if that is intended.

The graphics on 800*480 screen is what we design. On other resolution we just scale the graphics, so that is why you see the range-circle is an ellipse. Hexagones look "non-uniform" on 800*480 screen because we find they looks good and we can use bigger place of the screen and each hexagone can be just put in a square. The lucky thing is our non-uniform hexagones just have slightly different to the uniform hexagones on width/height ratio, so it doesn't affect the game playing.

Nicolas Gramlich wrote:Do you have a Gameplay video somewhere :?: I'd like to feature this on the blog soon :)

Best Regards,

We still have no Gameplay video now. I tried to record one by using androidscreencast (http://code.google.com/p/androidscreencast/), but the video doen't looks good. AndroidScreenCast just supports 5-6 FPS recording. But our game's FPS is 55+. The current idea is playing back the game on 1/10 speed, and record the video and use some video editor software to recover it to normal speed. This idea looks a bit complicated. I remember Farm tower has a lot of good videos. Could you share your experience on how to make a Gameplay video?

Thanks,
Zhiheng Zheng
zergling_zzh

Next

Return to Projects & Project-Development Blogs