Want AI, Gestures, 3D, Inventory, or Menus???

try{ getFittingBoard(new Topic()); }
catch (Exception e) { postHere() };

Re: Want AI, Gestures, 3D, Inventory, or Menus???

Postby IFL » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:59 am

I'm an idiot sometimes. I forgot that you're using the TMX stuff. Since it's a geometrically placed system, you just need to calculate which tiles the corners of the screen are on and only show the portion of the TMX matrix that are contained within the corner tiles. It'll be a few < or > boolean operations that only have to be computed when the camera or scene is moved. If you have rotation then it becomes much more of a pain, but it's doable.

The mip-maps are kind of a relational decision when it comes to 2d graphics. They will use too much processing power when the maps are small, but greatly improve efficiency when the maps are large. So that we're on the same page, I mean mip-maps to be smaller versions of the textures that you're usually using that replace the visible textures when they're scaled down. They'll be a major pain with TMX probably, but they made my 3d system triple in performance at times. The assets folder size also grows with mips so that's something to consider. I had one 3d level that had over 80 megs of textures... My client wasn't happy about it, but it ran at 60fps on a SGS.

Don't worry about hijacking this thread - it's in an off-topic forum.

The public beta of Spy Tower is less than a week away. It has been difficult to find time to work on it, but so far it's barely behind schedule. I'm exited about it because it's being released and controlled by me so I get to watch it either succeed or die by my doing. If any of you ever work as a freelance game developer, try to get the contract to allow the game to be in your control from pre-design to post-release. It'll save you from lots of headaches and you'll get to make decisions that help the game instead of following the decisions of (ignorant) clients that ruin the game entirely. I've really put myself into Spy Tower and it's a great feeling.
IFL

Postby Niffy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:03 am

Got around to publishing my Isometric branch!

https://github.com/Niffy/AndEngineTMXTi ... /isometric

My example will most likely come later in the week.
Niffy

Postby Niffy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:02 pm

Niffy

Postby darklord » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:53 am

Congratulations on your release, Niffy! :)
I'll check it out soon.

Hopefully someone can also shed some light on the culling... Having an efficient isometric culling method is challenging :|
darklord

Postby kblood » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:25 pm

So much great work in this thread :) Thanks for sharing. I thought the thread had died, and somehow I missed the last several responses.

If you release anything on the market IFL, I will get it on some of my devices asap :) If you begin to sell anything there as well, I will probably get that as well. When the time comes.

I am moving on with my UI stuff. But I want to get my game working, but Androids or AndEngines physics is really annoying me enough to consider trying to do the same things without physics, because I do not use that many physics calculations for what my rather simple test game is doing anyway. And then I only have to deal with the sprite.

But I will share my work here when I got a more complete UI tutorial and the app to go along with it with examples.
kblood

Postby Niffy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:25 pm

OOo UI stuff, interesting.
I was thinking about going back to UI dialogs once I finish isometrix tmx...in a few years time.

While its rewarding doing the Isometric TMX, just getting it and the examples online was quite fun. Required me to work with git at the command line and how to set up the project so I could push it to the server. Still got a few git bugs to sort out.
Niffy

Postby IFL » Wed May 02, 2012 8:01 am

I've been following the progress of everyone in this thread (via board rss) and I'm impressed by what everyone is doing. I forget to post about it, but good job everyone. I hope to be back soon to announce a beta launch. If the game is successful, I'll be giving away almost all of the source (including my AI system) and graphics.
IFL

Postby IFL » Wed May 09, 2012 12:42 am

My latest project's beta is finally out. I'd appreciate it if everyone could give it a try and report back with honest opinions (and bugs). Check my signature for the links.
IFL

Postby Mathew » Sat May 19, 2012 4:43 pm

-- never mind -- REMOVED --
Mathew

Previous

Return to OFF-Topic