The problem with AndEngine

try{ getFittingBoard(new Topic()); }
catch (Exception e) { postHere() };

Postby whalabi » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:20 pm

Yo! Apologies for the flame-bait, but I've written up a post about what I think are big issues with AndEngine, and why a commercial engine may be a better idea

It basically boils down to the fact that commercial engines have teams of dedicated developers paid to help you

Don't get me wrong, I still love AndEngine, but I'm finding it harder and harder to recommend.
Have a read and let me know what you think, or what can be done to make things better
whalabi

Re: The problem with AndEngine

Postby tencent » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:40 pm

If you want a commercial engine, buy unity. Its legit.
tencent

Postby whalabi » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:51 pm

Oh just to mention, my goal here is to see what can be done to make this situation better (if anything) rather than to complain - if I was just doing that I'd just switch, but loads of people have a lot of code and time invested in AndEngine, including me, so I'm not being purely selfless I must admit :P
whalabi

Postby Nicolas Gramlich » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:21 am

Hi,

some things will change quite soon. I.e. my intention to fix bugs, device support, time spent on AndEngine will be rather constant than the current high highs and low lows, etc...

Eventually I might no more be then only person in active development :!: (Which is already now not 100% true as some of you are submitting patches/features already (i.e. ZDefense) :!:)

More soon :!:

Best Regards,
Nicolas
Nicolas Gramlich
Site Admin

Postby whalabi » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:38 pm

That sounds great :)

Oh and apologies for being a downer yesterday, I was especially frustrated after chasing down an issue at length!
whalabi

Postby Nicolas Gramlich » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:41 pm

Hi,

whalabi wrote:Oh and apologies for being a downer yesterday, I was especially frustrated after chasing down an issue at length!

No problem, you've brought up reasonable arguments. I try my best to fix everything that I pick up in the Bugs and Features forums. Obviously it is a quite hard job to satisfy everyone, because besides administering the AndEngine forums, answering questions, fixing bugs and adding features, I have a private life, own projects to make some money.

I'm very pleased that every day there are more and more developers that answer questions here on the forums where I could say, "That's what I would have said!". This is takes quite some work from me and frees some time for more important things.

I've started adding javadoc to the critical points and when I change something I check if it is worth adding some javadoc there (i.e. constructors of Texture). Also I'm trying to put some more information into the commits I'm pushing (i.e. [url=http://code.google.com/p/andengine/source/detail?r=7002348d2caf58ca548e7762ee3876eba2d57d87]AndEngine[url]).

And yes you are right, up to now I didn't make a single penny of the time (uncountable hours) I've put into AndEngine and its surroundings. :)

Best Regards,
Nicolas
Nicolas Gramlich
Site Admin

Postby cschua » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:35 am

I see your point whalabi, but when it comes to open source and free engines, people should just be grateful. I stopped going here for a long time (maybe 4 months) and just now have come back, so that I can start working on games again (what did I miss anyways?). I stopped working with AndEngine because of the bugs and because I just couldn't make it better. I wanted to contribute, but I couldn't even solve my own bugs.

I think AndEngine will get better, and although I don't personally know Nicolas, I think he's a smart guy and genuinely care about fixing the issues and help the developers in this forum. If he can clone himself so that he can help everyone, he'll probably do that hehe.

Anyways, I'm gonna go through the forums and see what I've missed.
Published: Another Strobe Light, Nitey Night Light, Live Wallpaper ASL, Score Keeper, etc.

Future: Happy Halloween Game (using AndEngine)
Castle Game (using AndEngine)
Another Live Wallpaper (using AndEngine)
Etc.
cschua

Return to OFF-Topic