Optimus 3D

try{ getFittingBoard(new Topic()); }
catch (Exception e) { postHere() };

Optimus 3D

Postby Duiker101 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:50 pm

It looks very cool, but it's quite expensive... is it worth the money? is it possible to develope 3d apps? what can be seen in 3d? is it nice? i never tried it unfortunatly but i'd love...
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." Voltaire
Duiker101

Re: Optimus 3D

Postby Nicolas Gramlich » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:03 pm

Hi,

the Optimus 3D is a quite nice device. The screen is gorgeous, but almost to big, even for my big hands. The performance is excellent.
Note: I'm having a kind of pre-production device from Google I/O running Android 2.2.2, so mine is a very little buggy (freezes for a second from time to time).

People can say what they want about 3D (at least the current state) but it is a gimmick. You'll make a couple of 3D photos and videos, play an occasional (pre-installed) 3D game and it's really quite cool. It's a nice thing to show and try but nothing you'd use for a long time. Also the small 3D-viewing angle is really annoying.

The problem of the Optimus 3D is its battery life, which is the worst I've seen up to date.

The 3D API/SDK that LG made is excellent. Basically you split the screen in two parts and render your scene twice, while moving the camera slightly to the side for the second eye. The sdk/driver does the rest. This can be done with like 10 lines of code. LG did a really good job there.

Best Regards,
Nicolas
Nicolas Gramlich
Site Admin

Re: Optimus 3D

Postby AlexNunn » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:51 pm

It's easy to get caught up in the current 3D hype. Something to keep in mind is that 3D has come and gone, multiple times, over the last 60 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-D_film

Seriously, they had 3D films in the 50's. What you have to ask yourself is why it has never stayed relevant. Expense, conflicting systems, headaches (yes, I know quite a few people who get headaches watching 3D), complexity, etc.

Since we deal with software, we probably have the easiest time converting to and from one system or another. It's just a matter of if it's worth your time or not.
AlexNunn

Return to OFF-Topic