Cameras for Recording Demo's

try{ getFittingBoard(new Topic()); }
catch (Exception e) { postHere() };

Cameras for Recording Demo's

Postby AlexNunn » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:42 pm

I've only done one demo video thus far, and that was using video capture software and the Android emulator. Worked well, but it was early code that ran at high FPS. My FPS has dropped now, and the best video would come from playing the app on the phone itself.

What's everyone using to record their demo videos? I assume webcams. Are there any particular models people can recommend? Features that would be nice or not needed?

Looking around briefly on-line, it looks like the Logitech HD C510 is ranked high as far as webcams go. Only $43 which is nice too.
AlexNunn

Re: Cameras for Recording Demo's

Postby Nicolas Gramlich » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:49 pm

The most important thing is a tripod stand, because a shaky video sucks even on 1080p.
Besides that you might check if your phone has an HDMI port, so you can somehow record from there.

For my FarmTower gameplay/walkthrough video I used a "Camileo HD 720p" that was like 150€ a couple of years ago and I'm absolutely fine with that.

Best Regards,
Nicolas
Nicolas Gramlich
Site Admin

Postby AlexNunn » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:10 pm

Awesome! I got the Logitech C510 for Christmas.

I think I'm having issues with my filming set up. Everything on the Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S) looks blurry, even when sat against something solid for support. It also seems to be overly bright, blues look white, etc on the screen. I know next to nothing about photography. Hopefully this isn't an issue with my phone's screen protector.
It seems like if I put a bright enough light source behind my phone, things look better?

I think I'll track down a longer USB cord and experiment some more. Any further advice anyone might have would be great.

At this point I'm kind of wishing I had manual zoom and white balance. lol
AlexNunn

Postby AaronNeville » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:46 am

Logitech C510 :roll: :roll:
AaronNeville

Postby trjp » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:06 pm

Waking this because I'd like to see what other people are using if poss.

I've tried a couple of HD-video digicams and they all seem to suffer the same issue in that you either can't disable auto-focus (and thus the focus shifts when objects on the screen move) or they have too-long a focal length in video mode meaning that a phone screen is TINY in the final result.

Before I leap and buy a c510 (which I assume CAN do fixed-focus recording?) does anyone know of any good alternatives???
Tasty Android Snacks - http://www.somewhatdog.com
trjp

Postby AlexNunn » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:21 pm

Logitech C510 shot at about 10" from a Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S):

Focus isn't too bad, but it was apparently not designed for filming this close.
The biggest problem is the blurriness. Even if you film from farther away so the focus works correctly, the lighting makes everything look blurred. I assume this is glare from the screen putting out too much light, and the camera trying to auto-balance.

I know the video makes the camera look like crap, but it works awesome for what it was designed for: a webcam. Mounted from the top of my monitor, everything looks perfect. Clear focus, good colors, crisp lines, etc.
AlexNunn

Postby Nicolas Gramlich » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:45 am

I recently bought a Canon EOS 600D. It's just epic :!:
Nicolas Gramlich
Site Admin

Return to OFF-Topic