Book: Learning Android Game Programming

try{ getFittingBoard(new Topic()); }
catch (Exception e) { postHere() };

Book: Learning Android Game Programming

Postby Tazzy » Fri May 04, 2012 1:30 pm

Hi Guys,

I just bought the book 'Learning Android Game Programming' bij Rick Rogers which covers the AndEngine and even has a foreword by Nicholas Gramlich, so I kinda exprected this book would be usefull to learn some game programming. Unfortunately since the GLES2 version everything seems to have changed, rendering the book, I just bought, totally useless. It seems like every namespace and function name has changed since then :(

I'm a reasonable seasoned programmer (be it in C#) so I'm not put off that easily and using the videos and posts I got around using the AndEngine as a library instead of a .jar file and using intellisense to change the signatures where needed and looking at the source code I found out the new callbacks. But when the Texture() object seemed no longer creatable I got lost and don't know what to do anymore... :?

Off course there are samples everywhere but I rather read some books to learn a new technique, as you also get some extra explanations and backgrounds when reading them. Is there anything I can do to still use this book, or can I get the old .jar files or sources anywhere ?

Any help is welcome.

Kind regards,

Tazzy
Tazzy

Re: Book: Learning Android Game Programming

Postby c_vokey » Sun May 06, 2012 2:18 am

I also got the book and found out that it was totally out of date. I think the old jars are still available but now on the git site. When they are downloading you can select "master" instead of "gles2". I think thats where you can find gles1 now.

I tried setting it up using gles1 but had poor success. Seems like all the help and new tutorials are for gles2 so I searched the forums for tutorials and help. I find that the tutorials and gles2 sections of the forum helped the most.

I still use the book as a reference for the concepts within the chapters.
c_vokey

Re: Book: Learning Android Game Programming

Postby Tazzy » Sun May 06, 2012 8:31 pm

Hello C-vokey,

I tried that, but I got compiler errors and in the instruction video there was a note the jar branch was dead and no longer working, so I figured that branch was in an incosistent state and downloaded the GLES2 branch instead. Because the book was so new I never would have expected the signatures of the API would have changed so moch as they did.
I guess people who used the old version aren happy bout that either since their source would no longer work.
Tazzy

Return to OFF-Topic