AndEngine vx. libgdx

try{ getFittingBoard(new Topic()); }
catch (Exception e) { postHere() };

AndEngine vx. libgdx

Postby Giszmo » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:25 pm

Hi,

now that I diggd into AndEngine, I read a bit about libgdx. How do they compare?
Knowing AndEngine quite a bit now makes it easy to say what I prefer about libgdx:
* also 3D!
* Apache License 2.0
[* also desktop]

A first look at libgdx examples tells me it is less of an Android framework and might not integrate that well.

Maybe somebody else had a deeper look into libgdx?

Thanx in advance for sharing your experiences.
FluxCards allows you to learn 20 words per day with only 15 minutes repeating per day. Try it out. It's free and amazing ;)
Image Image
Giszmo

Re: AndEngine vx. libgdx

Postby BenjaminJC » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:31 pm

I think it depends on what you want.

One of the benefits of libgdx is the desktop environment --> Android in - I think it was 5 or 6 lines of code?

Mario and the Badlogic Games crew seem to be pretty great folks, and I've been in contact with a few devs using Scoreloop on libgdx games, and they've found it (libgdx) to be perfectly suited for them.

It's a question of preference, I think. Both AE and libgdx are fantastic, IMO.

EDIT: As for how well libgdx gels with Android (part of your initial question), you should download a few games and try it yourself. Everything looks fine to me, but I don't have access under-the-hood.
Get in the loop.
Scoreloop
My Twitter (sounds dirty)
BenjaminJC

Postby blandonfrank » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:20 pm

Here's a nice post by "oldskool73" on his blog. It gives you a general idea on the differences.
http://www.dustypixels.com/blog/2010/11 ... -the-best/
blandonfrank

Postby Giszmo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:25 pm

thanx for the feedback.

Great overview of AndEngine vs. libdgx although I wonder if he is really right on the performance benefit he sees in libgdx. No actual figures there.
He also mentions Min3d what was my first shot other than what is in the examples from google itself but Min3d is continued closed source as far as I can tell. No updates in ages and some of the methods are plain unfinished and I'm talking of very basic methods like Object3d.clone() that doesn't clone half the necessary members.

Anyhow this comparison is enough for me to stick with AndEngine for now as long as 2D is enough. I'm actually quite happy with it :)

Edit: Gnah! Min3D is being continued. He only paused almost 4 months. Haha! The Object3d.clone() issue got fixed feb-20. ... From looking at the diffs, I don't feel like going back to it :/ It looked promising though.
FluxCards allows you to learn 20 words per day with only 15 minutes repeating per day. Try it out. It's free and amazing ;)
Image Image
Giszmo

Return to OFF-Topic