AndEngine - games only?

... discussions about development with the GLES2 branch of AndEngine.

AndEngine - games only?

Postby maoz3000 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:53 pm

I recently started develop an app for android. Although Its not a game, I was wondering whether I should use AndEngine, and I though maybe you guys can help me decide...

In my app I use simple indoor map - so I have number of floors, and each time only one floor is being displayed. Each floor has its locations, and the user can request a route to be drawn between any 2 locations. My current implementation is based on android 2d graphics library: I am drawing on a canvas using drawBitmap() to draw the map from an image file, and drawing the route using drawLine() between locations (route is calculated using Dijkstra's algorithm...) anyway - this solution works, but it sucks - drawing this way makes the application looks like it is running on Windows Mobile 6 device (no offense), so my next goal was to make it attractive, mostly by adding animations. for example:
1. animate transition between 2 floors.
2. animate the route the is being drawn.

The problem is that android does not support tweened animation of "canvas elements", but only views - so I cant animate only the route, for example, because the map will be animated with it altogether.
I though maybe I could use AndEngine to make that happen, and I would be happy to hear your opinions - can it help me do the job better, even tough I am not coding a game...? :geek:
maoz3000

Re: AndEngine - games only?

Postby Rik1988 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:11 am

Hey,

I don't see why not, I'm planning on making a non-game app once I finish my current project.

I had to use dijkstras algorithm for a university project to find the shortest route in a public transport system :evil: damn I hated that project! It sounds from your post you got it working, but if you have any problems with the algorithm I'm sure I can help. Anyway Give AndEngine a go, there's lots of tutorials to help you get started. The community here is very helpful too.
Rik1988

Postby maoz3000 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:23 am

Hן Rik1988, and thanks for the reply!
I dont have any problem with Dijkstras algorithm, even tough I also had a headache from Algo academic course ;) I glad to hear that AndEngine might be a solution for me, because it sounds very fascinating platform. Still one more question though:
Where can I find more help? I mean, I see this community is really helpful, but I still need "beginners guide", because as I see the classes, methods and all other stuff does not seem to be documented... where do I begin?
maoz3000

Postby Rik1988 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:45 am

I know what you mean about the lack of documentation, but it still isn't that hard to get started. I Would suggest looking over the examples here.

As for setting AndEngine up RealMayo's thread helps you get set up pretty quickly.

When I first started AndEngine this thread was very helpful too, there's a few beginners guides and some more advanced one.

There is lots of helpful threads on the tutorials section of this forum too. Just scan through it or use the search bar on the top right hand side of the website. If you still have trouble, Just ask :D

It may take a few days to get used to things, but its worth it.
Rik1988

Return to GLES2