TickerText, knowing the advancement, finishing quickly

... the case you feel the need for a new feature or want to submit one.

TickerText, knowing the advancement, finishing quickly

Postby oulette » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:23 am

A rather common mechanism with ticker texts in RPGs is the "tap" to complete, "tap again" to skip. Helps making sure players read everything they should. With the current TickerText implementation, I can't reach the data required for me to do so. A simple way would be to make a getter for mCharactersVisible. So if the user taps while the text is written, I can compare the visible characters with the full string. Then I could increase the speed a lot for a quick complete. Alternateively, a "complete()" method could be implemented and the programmer could call it to complete the ticker. As soon as I move to source instead of lib I'll be able to make this myself and submit as a patch. And the current implementation would actually be "good enough". So no rush to make this, just writing this down in case I missed something, or if people have alternate ideas on how to implement this. Cheers!
oulette

Re: TickerText, knowing the advancement, finishing quickly

Postby Nicolas Gramlich » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:03 pm

Hi,

no problem to add this.

Btw did you already try to increase the "charactersPerSecond" :?: To me my code looks like the text would jump forward some characters as the charactersVisible are not calculated incrementally but relative to the time elapsed.
Could you try this ? :)

If so, I'll change it to do the calculation incrementally, so charactersPerSecond would work as I'd expect it :) Also "skipToEnd" would be easier to implement.

Best Regards,
Nicolas
Nicolas Gramlich
Site Admin

Postby oulette » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:58 am

I just tried. Started with a speed of 10, when I tap I crank it up to 500. Behaved as expected.
oulette

Postby camfred » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:29 am

Calling setCharactersPerSecond() to something high, like 500, doesn't seem to be working for me and is creating all manner of craziness. Either it draws something crazy to the screen (e.g., random colors) or I get a Fatal Signal 11. Anyone encountered this? Alternatively, any possibility of a complete() method in the works? Would be handy. :)
camfred

Postby mariadion » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:16 pm

I am working on this issue, still no success. I too was hoping if anyone is going to get the solution.
mariadion

Return to Features