Supporting Video

... the case you feel the need for a new feature or want to submit one.

Supporting Video

Postby Zloten » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:33 am

thx Nicolas for such interesting engine, its a pleasure to work with it.
One quastion - would it be supported with playing video files? in future? or never?
ps sorry for my English, thx from Russia ;)
Zloten

Re: Supporting Video

Postby Nicolas Gramlich » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:13 am

Hi,

some kind of video-support is not something that would be useful currently, as I expect probably no device to be fast enough to render a video in OpenGL (but who nows, maybe its easy fast and everything and I only don't know about it :P )

Best Regards,
Nicolas
Nicolas Gramlich
Site Admin

Postby Tahakki » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:37 pm

Many commercial games on iOS simply open the video in the default video player. This works reasonably well.
Tahakki

Postby dallonf » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:59 am

What might also work is opening another Activity to play your video, but still within the same app. AndEngine plays very nicely with standard Android code, unlike a lot of other engines out there (cough, Unity)
dallonf

Postby Zloten » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:30 am

To use video with AndEngine is not a problem for me. There is another problem (it's a bit offtopic sorry). I just want to make tamagochi-like game with alive cat on the screen and this cat may do many movment in dependence of gesture done by player. Each motion includes 125 frames and frame-animation is not good for it. I assembled all frames to video files and all works fine on android except only little thing - when i change one video to another (ex. cat sitting to cat jumping etc.) there is a 1-3 seconds pause with black screen. I tried all in mediaplayer? i googled all web for decision, but nothing found. That is why i asked about video on AndEngine. It's a pity that i cannot to port this cat to Android...Image
Zloten

Return to Features