hexagonal TMX Maps

... the case you feel the need for a new feature or want to submit one.

hexagonal TMX Maps

Postby Gordin » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:09 pm

I implemented hexagonal TMX maps in AndEngine. Not just the painting of the tiles, if I didn't miss anything you should be able to do everything that works with normal orthogonal TMX maps with hexagonal maps. Just use TMXTiledMap like you would with a normal TMX map. There are too many changes to post them here but you can checkout my clone of AndEngine and AndEngineExamples from here:

https://bitbucket.org/gordin/andengine
https://bitbucket.org/gordin/andengineexamples

(make sure to checkoute the hexagonalTMX branch in both repositories!)

I added an example to the AndEngine Examples in the Background section for hexagonal TMX Maps. It's basically the same as the normal TMX Example just with a hexagonal tmx file and tileset...

If you find any bugs or features of TMX maps that don't work with hexagonal maps please post it here.
Gordin

Re: hexagonal TMX Maps

Postby evilcandybag » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:58 pm

That looks awesome, but I'm not having much success building it as a working .jar archive that I can use when developing.
Any help with this would be awesome.
evilcandybag

Postby Gordin » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:19 am

I think this is more an AndEngine/Eclipse problem :/ At least I have no Idea what I could have changed to break the building of jars.

Does creating jars work for you with AndEngine without my changes?
Gordin

Postby TheBeege » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:34 pm

Hey Gordin,

Planning on using your hex maps for the strategy game I'm making. Are the sprites still square-tile based, or have you made alterations for them to use the hex tiles as well? I'm going to work on dissecting your code now to find out, but I figure it'd be worth asking.

Great stuff man. Thanks
TheBeege

Postby gst » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:40 am

Hi Gordin,

How you created the tmx hex tile?
I thought that Tiled doesn't supports hex tiles maps.

And one question...
Is it possible to make the hex grid and draw it (with andengine) over a bitmap? (I'm thinking on a boardgame board image).

Thanks!

gst
gst

Return to Features