Documentation

... the case you feel the need for a new feature or want to submit one.

Documentation

Postby tjp » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:27 am

Hi all,

I've only just picked up AndEngine but so far I like what I see and have started to move one of my existing projects (as yet unreleased) over to it. I especially like the relative ease and speed of getting a concept up and running quickly and all the extensions available. One problem I have been having however is the documentation available which right now is pretty poor. Many have tried to improve the situation by contributing their own tutorials, videos and example code but this is never going to be as useful as an official set of documentation (including Java Docs) in a centralised location. I have yet to come across any of this although do point me in the right direction if I'm wrong.

The good thing about AndEngine being open source is that it doesn't have to be this way. I'm sure there are many people (myself included) out there who would be willing to contribute. Are there any current efforts aimed in addressing this?
tjp

Re: Documentation

Postby e.r. » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:34 pm

You can buy the new book from here : http://www.packtpub.com/andengine-for-a ... kbook/book, I developed both of my games with only the information found in the forum and on google( stackflow .... ), it can be done easily. But the book will give you a better grasp of all the concepts, a must have in case you are serious about developing in andengine.
e.r.

Postby tjp » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:34 pm

Hi e.r.

I'm slowly getting a grasp of things but I'm not so much asking where I might find documentation - more suggesting it as something that would benefit the project as a whole. I have also indicated that I might be interested in contributing and was wanting to get an idea of whether there might already be some efforts under way I could join.

I do have the book (Kindle edition) which I have found useful for some things but I've found it a little incomplete on topics such as setting up AndEngine. I ended up following a Youtube video and even after that I found myself having to deviate slightly to get everything working correctly. I've also had problems with the source which I downloaded form Packt Publishing in that I'm unable to open the archive under Linux although that's probably an issue I'll need to direct to Packt.
tjp

Postby OzLark » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:59 pm

tjp wrote:Hi e.r.

I'm slowly getting a grasp of things but I'm not so much asking where I might find documentation - more suggesting it as something that would benefit the project as a whole. I have also indicated that I might be interested in contributing and was wanting to get an idea of whether there might already be some efforts under way I could join.

You'll see this discussion pop up here quite a bit - most feel like you (I did myself) but you soon realise that AndEngine is very well written and the code is extremely easy to navigate and inspect.

AndEngine is also not a finished product - maintaining documentation against an evolving product can present challenges its self.

But regardless, this has been discussed a lot (the last thread about 3 weeks ago).. Search for one of the old documentation threads and you'll see all the arguments from all sides :)

The RealMayo getting started thread tutorials/updated-getting-started-with-andengine-t4858.html and Matt's tutorial page: http://www.matim-dev.com/ are two good places to start..

This forum has an excellent, helpful and generous community that are always willing to help. When searching the forum forget the in built search and use google for much better results.

Bear with it - it's worth it in my opinion..
Did this post help you? Feel free to return the gesture by downloading Ninja Bees, creating a level (or more) and sharing it to the Ninja Bees website!

Ninja Bees - Our latest Android game, check it out on Google Play (free) or paid with no ads
OzLark

Postby sharkb8 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:11 pm

That book is a life saver. Get it!
sharkb8

Postby mdcenglish » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:39 am

I second the notion to get the book-I just got the Kindle version earlier this week. I've shelved it for the time being while I work through the Android Developer's Cookbook-but the book does look like it is very well written and I imagine that anyone that has learned some Android development might get plenty of use out of the book!
mdcenglish

Return to Features