Source Code released!

... public announcements related to AndEngine.

Source Code released!

Postby Nicolas Gramlich » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:40 pm

Hello Community,

yesterday I’ve finally been pushing the Source Code of AndEngine to Google Code. Check it out here:

http://code.google.com/p/andengine/
So if you want to get a first view on how to make games with AndEngine, you should take a look at this repository:
AndEngine Examples

Additionally I pushed out (most of) the extensions that I’m developing:
AndEngine Physics Box2D Extension
AndEngine Live-Wallpaper Extension
AndEngine Augmented-Reality Extension

You might wonder why did I choose Mercurial (hg) over git and svn ?

svn might be well known, but it can easily be broken.
git is not supported by Google Code, also the Windows support is worse than for hg.
hg is a well working Distributed Version Control System, with good Windows support and it works with Google Code.
All you need to pull using hg is the HGEclipse / MercurialEclipse-Plugin for Eclipse.

Best Regards,
Nicolas
Nicolas Gramlich
Site Admin

Re: Source Code released!

Postby Ulatec » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:02 am

Hello :)

Will we be seeing any tutorials? Such like the ones we see on anddev?
Ulatec

Postby Nicolas Gramlich » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:38 am

Hi,

for now there are the AndEngineExamples, which are kind of
like those tutorials.

The most basic one is this one: http://code.google.com/p/andengineexamp ... ample.java

Best Regards,
Nicolas
Nicolas Gramlich
Site Admin

Postby Ulatec » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:43 pm

Hey, thanks,
And good luck on growing the AndEngine community :)
Ulatec

Postby Nicolas Gramlich » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:22 am

Hi,

I decided to open a Tutorials subforum on here.
Maybe I'll post some descriptions and tutorials on how the engine is meant to be used in there :)

Best Regards,
Nicolas
Nicolas Gramlich
Site Admin

Postby KenCorey » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:48 am

That's great, but if I want to build a game and make a pot of money (and let's face it, who wouldn't?) I can't use this library without releasing the source code of my game.

As I understand the lesser GPL, if you modify the library, you must release the source code to the end users.

While I get why that's a good thing for, say, a word processor, a database, a CRM package or something highly complex where you can sell service and support, I don't see how that's good for a tetris/astroids/breakout/iphone game clone.

Any thought about other licenses?

Just my $0.02.

-Ken
KenCorey

Postby Nicolas Gramlich » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:03 pm

Hi Ken,

KenCorey wrote:That's great, but if I want to build a game and make a pot of money (and let's face it, who wouldn't?) I can't use this library without releasing the source code of my game.

:lightning: You'll never ever have to publish the sources of the game you made!

:lightning: (As I understand the LGPL:) The only thing you have to make public are the modifcations you make to AndEngine itself. Such stuff usually starts if you check out the AndEngine sourcecode, change something, and build the andengine.jar yourself. While you have to check in such changes, you should do so for your own profit, as otherwise you'd have to merge those changes with it every single other revision made to the AndEngine.

:lightning: As long as you simply drop the andengine.jar into your project, you don't even have to think about it - at all.

Hope this helped clarify things :)

Best Regards,
Nicolas
Nicolas Gramlich
Site Admin

Postby stevoman » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:58 pm

Hi,

I've been experimenting with this and it looks like a great engine.

I have been a bit confused about use of the lGPL on libraries to be used within android apps, as it seems that the LGPL requires that end users should be able to modify, compile and relink the library (or new versions of it) into the application, and it also seems that the publisher has to provide instructions on how to do this.

As android applications are generally distributed as single APK packages via the market, I'm not even sure how to provide instructions to relink, or enable end users to do so.

From your post above, it seems that you don't consider the license to be an issue from a (possibly commercial) distribution point of view, and since you are the copyright holder, you would be the only person capable of enforcing the license terms. It would be great if you could confirm this, and possibly provide a quick summary of the steps that you require to abide by the license.

Eg.

1) Include information that the library is used and is licensed under the LGPL.
2) Include the text of the LGPL.
3) Refer the user to andengine.org for further information and source downloads.
Etc.

Sorry if this sounds like beating a dead horse, but clear understanding of the licensing terms would mean that it were much easier for the library to be used by a wider variety of people without worry. I'm sure others are also confused about the LGPL in combination with android and the market.

Many thanks
Steve
stevoman

Postby bridea » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:03 pm

hi i'm newbie on andEngine, i have a school project and i interest for build a game in smart phones such as android, b , if you people not objection.. will you give little hand for me?
1.how i run this engine, download or install maybe
2. andEngine is cross platform?(use for difference OS)?

i'm very interest with this one, but i can't operate AndEngine, i totally newbie who find new experience
bridea

Postby Nicolas Gramlich » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:11 pm

Did you check this topic in the Tutorials section: tutorials/getting-started-with-andengine-t11.html

Best Regards,
Nicolas
Nicolas Gramlich
Site Admin

Next

Return to Announcements