Devices Information Library

... public announcements related to AndEngine.

Devices Information Library

Postby Mathew » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:01 am

Following idea from This Thread.

Android devices information library

So basic idea is to gather most important (development wise) information about devices we own to help each other during developing of our games.

Following details:

- Manufacturer
    - Model
    - Ram
    - Storage
    - Screen resolution (pixels)
    - Heap size (MB)
    - API

1. How to get heap size:

Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]
Using java Syntax Highlighting
  1. ActivityManager am = (ActivityManager) getSystemService(ACTIVITY_SERVICE);
  2. int memoryClass = am.getMemoryClass();
  3. Log.d("TAG", "memoryClass:" + Integer.toString(memoryClass));
Parsed in 0.013 seconds, using GeSHi 1.0.8.4

Post here info about devices you own, if there is any mistake, do not hesitate to report it.

Lets hope it will grow into big, valuable library.
Mathew

Re: Devices Information Library

Postby smartus » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:15 am

Here you can find a lot of information about GPU and OpenGL ES implementation on your phone: http://gfxbench.com/result.jsp (e.g. GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE is quite important :))
smartus

Postby e.r. » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:00 am

Galaxy Gio:
- Manufacturer : Samsung
- Model : GT-S5660
- Available Ram : 278 Mbytes
- Storage : 158 MB
- Screen resolution (pixels) : 320 x 480 pixels
- Heap size (MB) : 64Mbytes
- API : 2.3.6

HTC Chacha:
- Manufacturer : HTC
- Model : ChaCha
- Available Ram : 384 Mbytes
- Storage : 150 MB
- Screen resolution (pixels) : 480 x 320 pixels
- Heap size (MB) : 20 MB
- API : 2.3.5

Galaxy Nexus:
- Model : Galaxy Nexus I9250
- Ram : 1 GB
- Storage : 16 GB
- Screen resolution (pixels) : 720 x 1280
- Heap size (MB) : 64 MB
- API : 4.2.2

smartus wrote:Here you can find a lot of information about GPU and OpenGL ES implementation on your phone: http://gfxbench.com/result.jsp (e.g. GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE is quite important )

The GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE is important alright, but I never managed to get close of interpreting it, on the small GIO it is 4096, so you can load 4096X4096 max combined (Which I already load more in my game and it starts)? or max single texture 64 X 64 = 4096 (Which is not logical at all)....Do you have any idea how to interpret it :? ?
e.r.

Postby smartus » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:18 am

e.r. wrote:Galaxy Gio:
- Model : GT-S5660
- Available Ram : 278 Mbytes
- Storage : 158 MB
- Screen resolution (pixels) : 320 x 480 pixels
- Heap size (MB) : 64Mbytes
- API : 2.3.6

HTC Chacha:
- Manufacturer : HTC
- Model : ChaCha
- Available Ram : 384 Mbytes
- Storage : 150 MB
- Screen resolution (pixels) : 480 x 320 pixels
- Heap size (MB) : 20 MB
- API : 2.3.5

Galaxy Nexus:
- Model : Galaxy Nexus I9250
- Ram : 1 GB
- Storage : 16 GB
- Screen resolution (pixels) : 720 x 1280
- Heap size (MB) : 64 MB
- API : 4.2.2

smartus wrote:Here you can find a lot of information about GPU and OpenGL ES implementation on your phone: http://gfxbench.com/result.jsp (e.g. GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE is quite important )

The GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE is important alright, but I never managed to get close of interpreting it, on the small GIO it is 4096, so you can load 4096X4096 max combined (Which I already load more in my game and it starts)? or max single texture 64 X 64 = 4096 (Which is not logical at all)....Do you have any idea how to interpret it :? ?

It's the maximum length of one side, either height or width, of one texture. So 4096x4096 is your maximum texture area. You can have as many of these textures as you can fit in the texture dedicated memory.

Fun fact: By spec it must be equal or higher than the longer dimension of your phone screen resolution.
smartus

Postby e.r. » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:30 pm

Thanks smartus for the info, it kinda confirms that the heap is the one controlling the maximum of combined textured being loaded.
e.r.

Postby RealMayo » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:30 pm

@ e.r.
But we still have to figure out and understand the heap size better. For example, how are crappy phones able to play Bad Piggies (which has a huge heap size requirement)?
RealMayo

Postby e.r. » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:57 pm

Small crappy devices are able to load these games because the games are designed in a way to be able to handle such crappy devices, if you consider the music for example, on crappy devices the audio file that is being loaded consumes less memory because it is a crappy file, the sampling rate is lower and actually on the crappy phone's speaker won't allow you to notice the difference because it is a crappy speaker, plug your headphone you might notice it

Same for the textures crappy devices have crappy resolution which includes loading crappy bitmaps resources, in my new game I have HD graphics I tried to load it on the ChaCha and boom didn;t even start. The idea was to scale the graphics down....and it is incorrect. The correct approach was to load the small textures, and after reducing the texture to a camera size that is kinda equal to the resolution the game now is able to load the resources.

example (This is my personal approach into this, feel free to criticize):
Camera size 800X480 ratio resoltuion
- Background on HD: png size 1200X720 and scaled to 0.67f
- On medium devices: png file of 800X480
- On crappy devices ( resolution width <500 OR heap size <= 20 ): load a file of 480X288 and scale upward 1.67, and turn off particles and fancy shinny glittery stuff, and load low sampling rate audio files.

Which I think is really logical since the standard android architecture has the different folders for the resources, low medium high and xh resolution

So what you see as heap values on your devices, are different from what you see on a crappy phone, because the game is different, either another apk is loaded or dynamically via code different resources are loaded. I really suggest that the best way to feel/touch this is to buy a crappy device and test on it and compare.

Plus last night I tried angry birds on my gio after loading several other application, the game started but crashed half way threw gameplay..so bare in mind that crappy devices will always be crappy no matter what you do... It all boils down to your marketing requirements, do you want the game to be available to those devices or not.
e.r.

Postby RealMayo » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:29 pm

Very well said @e.r. ! :D 8-)
And therein lies the dilemma... A developer can make a big effort to support crappy phones but then when it comes down to it, those crappy phones will have a crappy experience playing the game anyway! Specifically I'm referring to lag on crappy phones. So I'm getting to the point of deciding that if a crappy phone crashes just trying to load large graphics, then I don't want that crappy phone playing my game anyway.
On a side note, official 780p high definition is defined as 1280x720. You might want to consider that aspect ratio. It also happens to be the aspect ratio of the Galaxy S3.
RealMayo

Postby Mathew » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:34 pm

Have to agree, it all depends on game type we are creating, sometimes there is just no sense to let some crappy devices to be able to install our game, even if they are able to play it, its all about their experience during game-play.
Mathew

Postby e.r. » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:47 pm

RealMayo wrote:On a side note, official 780p high definition is defined as 1280x720. You might want to consider that aspect ratio. It also happens to be the aspect ratio of the Galaxy S3.

Already in the final stages of my new game :(, I designed based on the Gnex, but definitely the next desinged game (If it will ever exists :P ) is going be in that aspect. And add to that the admob banner ad which I am going to put outside of the render view. This is the next pain to deal with after memory
e.r.

Next

Return to Announcements