Jun 27 2011

New AndEngine features in June

Hello Community,

in the past weeks, the development of AndEngine has been anything but standing still! Following is a list of the significant new features that were added in the >80 changesets of not-even-ended June!

  • AndEngine
    • New TextureFormat parameter: RGBA_8888 and RGB_565 (read more)
      • RGBA_8888 the old default value, supporting Texture transparency.
      • RGB_565 preserving memory, not supporting Texture transparency (useful for background!)
    • Managed BufferObject (read more)
    • SpriteBatch to draw multiple sprites with one OpenGL call (read more)
      • Can increase performance to up to 3x!
  • AndEngineMultiplayerExtension
    • AutoDiscovery via UDP broadcast (read more)
      • ZeroConfiguration/IDontCareAboutIPs !
  • AndEnginePhysicsBox2DExtension
    • Enhanced ContactListener with preSolve(…) and postSolve(…) methods. (Thanks to Mario!)
      • Platform game anyone?
  • AndEngineSVGTextureRegionExtension
    • Completely new extension allowing to render SVG files to Textures (read more)

So these are all the new features I didn’t forget about :D

Best Regards,
Nicolas


Jun 20 2010

AndEngine – Multiplayer Extension – Sneak Peek

Category: AndEngine,AndEngineMultiplayerExtensionNicolas Gramlich @ 19:50

Hello Community,

just wanted to give you a sneak peek on what the brand new AndEngine Multiplayer-Extension.

It features a very efficient bidirectional  ’message’-based binary protocol, so depending on what you plan to do, probably only latency will matter, not really bandwidth.

How did I get this idea?
Over the weekend I’ve had been visiting the DroidCamp Stuggart (#dcs2010), which was a pretty amazing event, where I gave a little presentation  about AndEngine (I’ll post the slides here soon). There also was a Hackathon, where we decided to make a multiplayer card game based on AndEngine. Basically every player sees his own deck of cards on his screen, together with the shared stack where all players can drop cards onto.

Due to AndEngine, the graphical part of the game was not the problem,  so what we had to implement was a form of Client-Server-Communication, which took us about 2 hours to ending in a not so generic way. At some point I remembered that I already had done exactly that before (yeah I have a bad memory, I know), for my Android-to-PC remote control AndRemote. So today I sat down 2 hours and made the code a little more abstract and while I was mostly deleting AndRemote-specific classes, I could reuse 99% of the code without any change (felt pretty good actually =D ).

I’ll commit the code of the Multiplayer-Extension to Google Code as soon as possible, which is, when I have completed the final tests.

Best Regards,
Nicolas