Oct 31 2010

Announcing: AndEngine LevelStatsDB

Category: AndEngineNicolas Gramlich @ 17:25

Hello Community,

while making a new game that consists of a series of levels, you always have to think about the difficulty. You’d probably try to make the difficulty rise a bit each level, so there will be as little frustration as possible, while the levels don’t get to easy over time.

This question made me implement a new feature of AndEngine, the so called LevelStatsDB. The LevelStatsDB is a tool that consists of a single class in AndEngine, a few PHP-files, a couple of MySQL-tables and finally an Excel-2007 file (I chose Excel 2007 because of all it’s cool features, but you can get the data from the database through any other way!). So it’s really simple to setup on any webserver!

So from your code you call a single line of code, whenever your game-logic determines a level was solved or failed. And on the other end you get this neat table that shows quite some interesting data, like:

• How long was level X played
  • How often was level X played
  • How often was level X solved
  • What is the chance a player solves a level vs. failing it
  • What was the fastest/average/slowest time level X was solved

AndEngine LevelStatsDB

AndEngine LevelStatsDB

So if you think this is cool or not, let me know so I’ll release this even sooner than planned :)

Best Regards,
Nicolas

7 Responses to “Announcing: AndEngine LevelStatsDB”

1. Menion says:

Hmm, looks veeeery good. Nice work Nicolas

2. MAW016 says:

Cool 8-) this is the answer about what i was thinking about last days :)

3. rkpost says:

Hi Nicolas,

Maybe will be more easy if we can use a google app engine backend, or best… Google Analytic.

Some days ago, an Android team from Mountain View come to my country in order to talk about android (Google DevFest). They mention google analytic like a great tool to create stats about our users.

• Nicolas Gramlich says:

I know there is a possibility to us Google Analytics but the LevelStatsDB provides much more specific data. I’d use Google Analytics more for the general flow of an application than for a game made of levels.

Best Regards,
      Nicolas

4. MaXMC says:

It would be useful to know at which coordinates people most often die and at which point the quit the game.

Something like this: http://replicaisland.net/index.php?view=en/player_metrics.php
    With the addition of heatmaps: http://blog.corunet.com/how-to-make-heat-maps/

5. Jonas says:

How is it going with this project? Is it going anywhere or is it canceled? If so, is Google Analytics the way to go?

Would like to map and see how users fail on different courses on my Android (AndEngine) Game.

/ Jonas

6. Mergim says:

I think this is a very good idea. Do you know what the status of this is? I’d love to use it for my game.