just wanted to give you a sneak peek on what the brand new AndEngine Multiplayer-Extension.
It features a very efficient bidirectional ’message’-based binary protocol, so depending on what you plan to do, probably only latency will matter, not really bandwidth.
How did I get this idea?
Over the weekend I’ve had been visiting the DroidCamp Stuggart (#dcs2010), which was a pretty amazing event, where I gave a little presentation about AndEngine (I’ll post the slides here soon). There also was a Hackathon, where we decided to make a multiplayer card game based on AndEngine. Basically every player sees his own deck of cards on his screen, together with the shared stack where all players can drop cards onto.
Due to AndEngine, the graphical part of the game was not the problem, so what we had to implement was a form of Client-Server-Communication, which took us about 2 hours to ending in a not so generic way. At some point I remembered that I already had done exactly that before (yeah I have a bad memory, I know), for my Android-to-PC remote control AndRemote. So today I sat down 2 hours and made the code a little more abstract and while I was mostly deleting AndRemote-specific classes, I could reuse 99% of the code without any change (felt pretty good actually =D ).
I’ll commit the code of the Multiplayer-Extension to Google Code as soon as possible, which is, when I have completed the final tests.